The Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lock

well, my mother and I both have festiva's (91, 93) and I soon disvcovered that her key works with my vehicle! Now is this a very rare case, or should I be changing my locks in hopes that no ones takes advantage of this and takes my stereo and crap out of my car?
    '93 L Green

"Yes sweety, it is a (removed by request)box.. but it's my (removed by request)box, and I love it."

ya they all work

Festiva's have really shitty locks on them, I have a plastics spare key to open my drivers door, and I can start my car with it.

I just suggest keeping it to your self, really only festiva owners know about it. By the way if some one wanted to steal your car, the top of the door frames are so weak you can bend them open.

Logan

Comment

I have 3 festivas and all the keys will open the door on my 90L But none of the keys work in the ignition of the other cars. I think that the door locks are just crappy to start with and with a little wear become very easy to open
      Paul
      91GL
      Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

I had 2 Festys with matching keys

I had 2 Festys with matching keys, its kinda scary. Not many know. Usually a car has about 100 or so different key styles, finding a match is rare but I have had it happen, when I sold that Festy I just kept that other key and now its my spare I gave to my wife for my car.

Comment

I always figure that if someone wants to get into my car bad enough, they'll break a window. To prevent broken windows, I just don't lock it, and don't keep anything valuable inside.

The flexability of the door frames worries me sometimes. At freeway speeds you can see the top moving in the wind, and you can really pinch your fingers in there.
          OX SMASH!!

Comment

locks

i used my 1993 key in a rear hatch lock in a junkyard car and it worked. then i put that lock on my own hatch that was damaged.

Comment

Both my 89 and 93 can share the keys. They open doors and start each other! Kinda convenient!
              Brian
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
              :fish:

Comment

I have 2 keys for all 6 of my Festivas..

Comment

Buy a paging alarm fixed.

Comment

Yeah, its not a rarity when I was looking for a new key latch for the drivers side of my car I just went to pick in pull, put my key in a festiva door there and it fit exactly.

On a side note, my key latch was originally broken because someone used a flathead screwdriver to look for a garage opener inside my glove compartment, it was so badly broken that any key could open my drivers side, even a non festiva key.

Comment

lock picking

I was reading 2600 one day and they had a article on lock picking techniques and tools, so I used a paper clip, and a nail file on a set of clippers both times it opened:-)

first try

Comment

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your need) this is a problem they seem to have fixed in the Aspire.

The 95 I just bought had a broken lock in the hatch. I have another hatch I'd like to put on it, but the key wasn't with it and mine doesn't work.

On a related note, anybody know how difficult or expensive it is to get a door lock re-pinned to match an existing key?

Comment

Oh, come on! Who needs locks? Just cut it all off.
                          '89 L! -shaved, lowered, 17's, and two 10"subs. B6swap. Candy tangerine, flamed, painted carbon look hood/stripes. AND the roof glows in the dark... That was a dumb idea.

Comment

Working...
                          X