My ffffirst pppost !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ffffirst pppost !

Ok here goes, don't blow me up for these questions most have seen repeatedly. The aspire swap, just for better brakes , other advantages? Will metro 13s bolt right on? I have a 4x8 trailer dumb idea to use my festy to tow it? (total wt. about 5-6 hundred lbs.) Bone stock red 91L. Whew! I'm done.

Originally posted by jrwitten View Post
    Ok here goes, don't blow me up for these questions most have seen repeatedly. The aspire swap, just for better brakes , other advantages? Will metro 13s bolt right on? I have a 4x8 trailer dumb idea to use my festy to tow it? (total wt. about 5-6 hundred lbs.) Bone stock red 91L. Whew! I'm done.
    OK. I'm in a pretty good mood so I'll reply.

1st, welcome to the forum.

2nd, you are going to be better served if you use the "search" button for any future questions you may have. At least try to make an attempt.

And now to my version of possible answers.

Aspire swap= better brakes, 13" stock wheels, more common wheel bolt pattern (4x100mm).

Metro 12" or 13" are a direct bolt on using the stock Festiva bolt pattern (4x114.3mm or 4x4.5") depending on if you like metric or 'merican measurements.

Trailer towing, not a dumb idea. I myself built a 4'x8' tilt trailer and a guestimate of it's weight empty would be 500-600 lbs. I hauled a diesel engine and generator head (both weighing 400 lbs. each) on the trailer pulled by my Festiva. It wasn't a land speed record holder by any means but I don't think I could have averaged 35 mpgs with my pickup truck.

Hope this response helps and keep in mind # 2 from above.

Comment

Welcome to the site.

The Aspire swap also gets you a rear sway bar. If you use aspire rear struts too, you gain more rear tire clearance.

Aspire rear struts can be used by themselves if all you want is more clearance in the back.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Strange that you should ask about towing a trailer, because this was posted this morning:

I little searching and some reading of the "new posts" can go a long way to answering your questions.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Looks like all your questions were answered so I will just say....

Welcome!!!
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
          The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Welcome, and I have even towed other Festiva's with my festiva. It will do just fine.

I would suggest making certain all the mechanicals of your Festiva are in order.

good working brakes
            tuned up
            and don't be in a hurry
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

If your going to tow something substantial DO NOT use a bumper only hitch!
              It simply is not safe.
              Get/make/have made one that bolts through the rear tow points and also bolts through the spare tire well.
              Beware the ebay festiva hitch!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                If your going to tow something substantial DO NOT use a bumper only hitch!
                It simply is not safe.
                Get/make/have made one that bolts through the rear tow points and also bolts through the spare tire well.
                Beware the ebay festiva hitch!

Very good point Pu241, I failed to mention I had built my own tow hitch for mine.
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by kartracer46 View Post
                  Very good point Pu241, I failed to mention I had built my own tow hitch for mine.
                  Yup, same here.

Comment

Welcome!

The "ebay Festiva hitch" is the Curt manufactured one. It attaches only to your spare tire well bottom and your bumper. It's okay for bike racks or very light trailers. The tongue weight limit is 100 pounds and tow weight limit is 1000 pounds. If your current trailer weighs around 4 to 5 hundred pounds, you'd have to watch what you pulled with it so you don't exceed the limits.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Welcome, quite glad to see that everyone is helping, and the search function, as others have noted, will be your biggest ally, it helps me out so much when doing my own projects..... hope everything works out for you..... and again, welcome to the site.... we're all here to help....
                      Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                      89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                      Projects in the works:
                      84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

Welcome to the site! Hope you get that stuttering problem fixed.

The 4x100mm bolt pattern gives you many more options for wheels than the Festy pattern. And the Aspire brakes are way better. At the very least, do the front brakes if you can't afford the rears too. You'd be running two different bolt patterns, but that can be addressed with dual-bolt-pattern aftermarket wheels, like my 14" AR Estrellas for example.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yes welcome to the site and yes make an effort to use the search button it will be of good use, if you have tried and can't find an answer, ask we are here to help.
                          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Welcome aboard jr !!!
                            sigpic
                            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Welcome!
                              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                              X