"New" Replacement Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Replacement Festiva

If you have been following our posts on our 1988 white Festiva "Steve" we have been trying to get back on the road since the unfortunate accident then failure to run odessey of the motor you will be glad to know we found a replacement car. this is going to be a REAL diamond in the rough and I mean ROUGH! I found it on Craig's List yesterday. 1988 Festiva 'L'. It has a few bumps and bruises and will need some serious work, such as axle shafts, exhaust and interior parts. We bought it for $264.84, literally all the change we had with us. It drives, stops and shifts without difficulty. The radiator is clean and full of green antifreeze with no evidence of leaks. Oil is clean and shows recent changing and only minimal expected leakge. We really don't have any idea just how many miles are on this guy or if ever the engine has been overhauled. I must have had some owrk on it as the valve cover has been off and was painted yellow! The odometer shows 291,000+ miles. Biggest diferences is the trim line L vs LX. The plan now is to get what we can from an another donor car in a local wrecking yard, shift some of the LX trim items for the interior in the new car and fix the things that need fixing.

It is gonna need the brake lights to be checked as it does not have brake lights but all other lights work. As I mentioned, we located a 1993 Festiva in a local wrecking yard and set to stripping it of useable interior parts today. My son finished up the removal as I had to go to work. The "new" arrival has tan interior and is an L trim model. So no intermittent wipers. The driver's door is from an LX but is red and the window has some issues in operation. Passenger door has broken door handles and lock on the inside as well as the passenger mirror being broken. The dash is pretty much a wreck and no radio. The PO had removed the radio as well as the factory harness ... gonna be fun trying to get a replacement. the rear seat had been removed as it was used to haul fire wood as well and had been tossed out. No dome light, no rear view mirror and mis-matched wheels The exhaust leaks llike crazy around the catalytic converter and muffler.

I took my son to the wrecking yard this morning and started to remove the meeded parts. i had to leave before noon to go to work so he returned to finish up. The donor car had been dropped off and as such, had three other engines in the back. Unfortunately none of them was from this car! So my son tells me he was able to get both doors, rear hatch, right side fender and headlight trim, left headlight, complete dash, all interior trim and panels, door covers and head liner along with all the bolts, nuts, screws and covers. We pulled the door scuff plates, door edge trim (gray), antenna, front and rear seats, rear view mirror. We will pull the LX seats out of Steve and transfer the 'L' seats in. The ones in the 'Blue Meanie' are mis-matched and broken down. the driver replacement door is missing the weather strip but I think another scrap car has one. We will de-rust the edges and prime then install the door gasket.

It is gonna be a fun project but as my son has already learned alot about his little "roller skate" he's gonna learn a whole lot more. Glad I bought that Factory Service Manual! He is gonna take pictures of the transformation so be watching for more on the rebuild.

If anyone knows, I would be interested to know the following: Swapping of the transmissions, Steve has a 5 speed while Blue Meanie is a 4 speed. Anything I need to know or do in order to swap the trannies? Is it even worth worrying about? Also the LX has intermittent wipers as the L does not, what would I need to swap out in order to have the intermittent feature? Is there anything I should know about swapping the speedo assembly so that I would have the LX cluster instead of the L cluster, kinda like the tachometer. Ok more to follow and thanks!

Congratulations!

Transaxles should swap with nothing special to do, other than maybe put in a new clutch if needed. The five speed is just a four speed with a fifth gear added on.

Tach cluster should go in fine, but you'll need to reroute the speedo cable from the left side of the metal support to the right side to go into the new tach cluster. First, pull the speedo cable out into the engine compartment as far as you can, then reach into the cluster hole and push the end over to the right side, then reconnect into the new tach cluster.

Intermittant wiper module should also swap over directly, but there may be a difference in distance between old and new ('90 and later) stalks from the steering wheel rim. Look at both wheels and you'll see the newer ones are more dished. This was probably to work better with the auto seatbelts and crash testing. When I put in my intermittant wipers I simply switched to the older steering wheels. Try both and see what you think.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Sorry about "Steve". Good to hear about the replacement car. BUT, I do have one question. You guys actually had $264.84 in change on ya? lol jk
      -Bryant

Comment

thanks Karl for the input, things we can look at. I wasn't sure if we should have tried to get the steering colum from the 'donor' car of just live with it for now but it looks like if I can come across another LX in a yard maybe it would be worth trying to salvage. Gr8 info on the gaguge cluster too, thanks, this is the reason I love coming here, gr8 ideas, and gr8 people

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
        Sorry about "Steve". Good to hear about the replacement car. BUT, I do have one question. You guys actually had $264.84 in change on ya? lol jk
        Well not "exactly" ... The car was listed for $350. All I had was $20 bills with me sand then the pocket change. After seeing and driving the car I asked the lady about negociating the price and offered her $250, she said she had a guy offer her $260, I countered with $270 and we had a deal, but she didn't ahve change for the $20 ($10) so I started digging and came up with $4.84.

My son has started, he has on fender and the driver's door off the Blue Meanie! I'll be sure to have him photo the progress.

Comment

lol
          -Bryant

Comment

UPDATE:
            We had a GR8 day yesterday here in the Pacific Northwest but today and the next 4 days are gonna SUCK! Yeah its raining again.

My son got the the drivers doors swapped, completely disassembled them and swapped the power mirrors from Steve to Bleu but then notice the harness was different in the dash and the doors. He got the old dash out and then did a harness swap to elininate the wiring issue with the doors. He got the old steering column out and will swap those as well which will give him the intermittent wipers.

We found out the head liner will not work (bummer) as the 91 donor car has the moving shoulder belts so the headliner is WAY different. While he was doing much of the take outs of pieces noticed a few things he still needed so back to the local Yard. Picked up a few more goodies, support bracket for the center console which seems to be different, shifter boot, antenna (that was interesting getting the drain tube out), two stock wheels with tires to match the stock wheels on Bleu, then I went to check the 89 Festiva on the hill, got the driver's door gasket, emergency brake surround, stock radio harness, amber 12 VDC outlet ( the one in the 91 dash was green) and I had a thought about the issue we had with the shot muffler, so I checked underneath and it still had the exhaust (minus the CAT) and it wasn't rusted out so pulled that as well. Really easy as I only had to disocnnect the hangers. Haven't really looked to see what differences between the 88 and 89 are.

I noticed that the tops of the donor doors had some rust along the top edge. Going to try to scape as much rust off and then use some of that Rustoleum Rust inhibitor which is supposed to seal and transform the rust so it doesn't deteriorate any further. Not really crazy about trying to gring out and then try to figure out how to fill in the holes so open to suggestions if this is not the way to go.

I wasn't able to help him so much yesterday as I helped out my lady who had visitors from Australia who arrived but will be assisting him over the next week, just wish it wasn't going to be raining off and on over the next several days. More to follow along with some pics as can get them.

Comment

Working...
            X