should i change jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i change jobs?

I gave been at the same shop for almost five years now. I feel I need to learn more. I have the opportunity to go work under an auto electric genius.

Pros of leaving.... new boss, current boss is kinda douchie. Learning more specialized field. Closer to home.

Cons... no set salary. Change, always fearful. Work in shop w no lifts.

Opinions?
    Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
    88? Parts car-sold
    91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
    86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
    1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

I don't think I'am qualified after 35 years of selling parts for the same company.
    Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

if it's to grow and learn, take the new job, you'll regret it if you don't.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Right now I'd go for stability.
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
          I gave been at the same shop for almost five years now. I feel I need to learn more. I have the opportunity to go work under an auto electric genius.

Pros of leaving.... new boss, current boss is kinda douchie. Learning more specialized field. Closer to home.

Cons... no set salary. Change, always fearful. Work in shop w no lifts.

Opinions?
          Change is inevitable; the trick is to manage it, or at least roll with it.

Talk to the new boss about the salary question, to try to satisfy yourself it will be enough to get by. Taking a salary hit that is still bearable might be worth the new knowledge and circumstances. Think of it as tuition money.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I like the new knowledge idea, but am afraid I wont learn fast enough to be a good technician quick enough. I have ten years experience as a technician, but this Guy is doing all electrical. Guess that's the best way to learn. Dive right in.

I'm just so tired of working for someone who only cares about his custom home. It's like "dude, I don't care about crown moulding, this has nothing to do with a car."
            Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

No lifts.... thats a toughy

Comment

Do it. Not having a lift can be easy to deal with. Ask gestiva LOL.

The auto electrical can be OK. I mean. I do wiring on German and English cars. Once you learn the basics its not really all that awful. Although each manufacturer has little quirks that take some getting used to. and that takes time. Any teacher will know this.
                Previous:
                1991 GL. (01' ranger lights!) P/S,A/C Sold to Mum.
                1990 auto. hacked up rally toy.
                1988 5 speed. The pile
                1993 5 speed.
                1995 5 speed aspire. Gutted for the 90' auto.

Comment

I talked to the owner of other shop today. I think I'm gonna do it. I'm definitely gonna pray about it first.
                  Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

Good luck. By the way, the crown molding in my Festiva headliner is falling down...:tongue3:
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      Change is inevitable; the trick is to manage it, or at least roll with it.

Talk to the new boss about the salary question, to try to satisfy yourself it will be enough to get by. Taking a salary hit that is still bearable might be worth the new knowledge and circumstances. Think of it as tuition money.
                      Good advice from Tom. If you are considering taking the job, you need to know what you are getting into. Get that info up front, and then you can make an educated decision.....oh.... and Good Luck!
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Well Monday I quit. Old boss sold 4 hours worth of work at 4:30 and told customer it would be done by six. I did the work, locked up my box and went home. 9:15 next day had a new job making same money and another prospect on standby.
                        Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment

you should have worked a notice. jmo
                          Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by gorgonheimer View Post
                            Well Monday I quit. Old boss sold 4 hours worth of work at 4:30 and told customer it would be done by six. I did the work, locked up my box and went home. 9:15 next day had a new job making same money and another prospect on standby.
                            Good for you!
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                              you should have worked a notice. jmo
                              Hard to do when we had a f bomb battle
                              Neil

88? Parts car-sold

Comment