Future Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Festiva?

Just a thought - What's the future Festiva? Could there be another one given the technology that has been put in cars since '93? Given that most car makers do not want us working on our cars (see plastic membrane), can the future D-Y-I er's do to current cars what we do with old technology?
    Last edited by bastille10; 05-13-2011, 04:44 PM.

haven't ever worked on one to know, but when hyundai had the stripped down version of the accent for 9k a year or 2 back that would probably be the closest thing.

Comment

In tehran or iran our cars were made up into the 2000's I believe? Dont hold me to that but there is a article around here somewhere about that. I think the fiesta is the new festiva in my opinion.
      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I think the KIA Rio5 would have made a nice looking re-entry for the Festiva badge. And the price tag is about right for one.
        Last edited by kartracer46; 05-13-2011, 05:08 PM.
        91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
        82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
        85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

The fiesta can't be the new festiva cause the ford fiesta came first. I believe the years wwere74threw 85

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            In tehran or iran our cars were made up into the 2000's I believe? Dont hold me to that but there is a article around here somewhere about that. I think the fiesta is the new festiva in my opinion.
            yeah they where called saipas, they had a 4 door, 2 door, wagon, and truck version. but they where never sold here so they dont count, and the new fiesta really isnt much like the festiva

Comment

How about the Aveo? Made by Daewoo. An "under the radar" kind of car. Chevy's never really tried to sell it much. From a technical prospective
              probably as close to a Festiva as you can get now.
              Last edited by bastille10; 05-13-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

^Fiesta Mark I (1976–1983): The first generation
                91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Originally posted by bastille10 View Post
                  How about the Aveo? Made by Daewoo. An "under the radar" kind of car. Chevy's never really tried to sell it much. From a technical prospective
                  probably as close to a Festiva as you can get now.
                  yeah but you never hear anybody say "i love my aveo i'll never sell it" lol so i think that takes it out of the question, plus the whole ford vs chevy thing. even though it is a daewoo you have to consider that ford and chevy are enemies.

i guess the new fiat 500 could work but its a little to early to tell

Comment

My wife had a white/ black stripe 1979 Fiesta "S", when we met. Great car. Quick. German built. To compete with the VW Rabbit (had almost the same exact specs. as far as dimensions). As usual, Ford gave it the heave ho after 3 years. Couldn't get the marketing right plus gov't regs. meant too much investment.:bs:

Comment

Fiat 500? Surely you jest.

F = Fix
                      I = It
                      A = Again,
                      T = Tony!

I speak from experience with a brand-new-in-the-box Fiat 128 SL. Every replacable part needed replacing every 20,000 miles -- CV joints, wheel bearings, brakes, clutch cable, tires, valves, valve guides, timing belt, fan motor, cat, ball joints, tie rod ends, ad nauseum. Even supposedly non-consumable parts like the front seats and the seat belts wore out at 50,000. After 90,000 miles of such nonsense, I just couldn't take it anymore, and sold it to Dino and Laselo (my mechanics) for $200.

I used the proceeds to buy a 500,000-mile Volvo PV544 and drove it another quarter million miles with minimal problems.
                      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 05-13-2011, 07:54 PM.
                      88L black, dailydriver
                      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                      4 88/89 disassembled
                      91L green
                      91GL aqua pwrsteer
                      92GL red a/c reardmg
                      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

the Aveo is more akin to the Yugo than the Festiva, everyone i've seen in the shop is falling apart everywhere except the engine and suspention. that being said, the second gen Aveo has a "better" engine/trans combo and the interior seems to be holding up better than the girst, BUT it's too early to have a comparison like this. the Fiesta/mazda2 is in the same boat here; far too earlier to tell.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I like the looks of the new Fiat 500 Abarth. Hopefully it's better than some of the other Fiats I have worked on. The X1/9 comes to mind.
                          Chuck
                          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                          If money will fix it, it's not broken
                          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                          93 GL - Lil Red
                          91 L - Tweetystiva
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                            Fiat 500? Surely you jest.

F = Fix
                            I = It
                            A = Again,
                            T = Tony!

I speak from experience with a brand-new-in-the-box Fiat 128 SL. Every replacable part needed replacing every 20,000 miles -- CV joints, wheel bearings, brakes, clutch cable, tires, valves, valve guides, timing belt, fan motor, cat, ball joints, tie rod ends, ad nauseum. Even supposedly non-consumable parts like the front seats and the seat belts wore out at 50,000. After 90,000 miles of such nonsense, I just couldn't take it anymore, and sold it to Dino and Laselo (my mechanics) for $200.
                            Most younger people (let's say, under 30, the target audience for the new 500), would have no idea what you're talking about when you mention "Fix It Again Tony." They're too young. Frankly, those of us who ARE old enough really know that the car business has changed since the malaise days of old. Even the cheapest of cars, let's say an Accent, benefit from advanced engineering, rustproofing, etc, that was unheard of back then.

I would think that my new Yaris 3-door hatch, with 5-speed, manual windows, A/C, and an ok radio, would be close to the Festy in spirit at least. But even a car as simple as my Yaris has ABS, Electonic brake force distribution, traction control, tire pressure monitors, and all the other nannies that new cars are required to have. I think I may be able to change my own oil. We'll see.
                            If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                            Mark S.

Comment

Deathegg - You right. Probably a third of the people on this site were not even born when the Festiva first came into production. When introduced in late 1987, the Festiva was generally looked at as an entry level, cheap, high mpg, "throw-away", "give away" kind of a car. That was my only comparison to the Aveo. Back in '88 nobody had a clue (including me) who Kia was.

Comment

Working...
                              X