Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does a timing belt last??

:?: Hey there,
    How long is a timing belt supposed to last? (1988 L+, 170,000 miles, 4-speed).
    I changed it at about 77,000, but haven't changed it since. I know it's about 30,000 miles overdue (if I remember the service intervals correctly).

Driving across country at the end of the month; money is tight. So... do I take the chance and NOT change it, or spend money I really don't have?

BTW, the Festiva is a non-interference engine right? That is, if it does break, the pistons and valves don't smash into each other, right?

Thanks!!!!
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

Belts rarely break but they do stretch. I'll post a pic of the timing belt i'm taking off of our corolla which is the original 1989 with 200k. It's cracked real bad but the teeth side looks good. If it was me and didn't have the money I wouldn't worry about it, although the timing belts cost only 20 bucks or less.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

first timing belt change should be at 60,000

the next should 90,000 miles later

and you are right, it is a non-interference motor, unless you were doing 90mph @ 5000 - 6000rpm and it were to break

Comment

timing belt

Service manual says 60,000 miles. I ran my original 175,000, this is not recomended !! If you have A/C this task is more difficult. Replace the water pump and flush out cooling system while you are at it. Use proper torque specs.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

My problem is that I don't have the time (leaving in 24 days!) or a place to work on it to do it myself, and the estimate from my mechanic is about $350 for the belt, water pump, and alternator belt. and I need that money for the trip itself.

My thinking is that I will just take a chance and hope all goes well, and have enough $$$ on me to get it fixed if it does break.

So, you say timing belts rarely break? I hope that's right!!
          If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
          Mark S.

Comment

timing belt

If it breaks, it could ruin the engine, take enough $ for that
            sigpic

Comment

^ No, if it breaks, the engine won't be damaged... because its a non-interference design. Even if it snaps at 6000rpm, nothing will happen.
              * Retired Festiva-er*
              1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
              B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

agreed. 6k rpm isn't high enough to cause valve float.

you could replace the belt yourself. only takes 2-3 hours for a novice, with basic hand tools. the belt would only cost you $20-$40, depending on where you buy it.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

tb

I stand corrected
                  sigpic

Comment

I changed my belt out in about 3-4 hours including the water pump. I have never changed one out before. It was fairly easy with a Haynes manual. Mine does not have AC though.
                    Rob "BossMan" Petty

Comment

Working...
                    X