Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, it looks like the rear axle is bent. Aspire time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it looks like the rear axle is bent. Aspire time?

The bearings make a squalling noise, but the top is leaned out and the front is toe'd in a bit, likely a curb shot.

The tire is worn on the inside and outside.

I'll head to PAP some day this week at lunchtime to see what's available.

As I understand it, if you get the Aspire axle, you need to get the front mounts as well. Anything else? Then I guess the problem is, I'll need wheels as well. Maybe just going back to the Festy axle is best, or can you put the Festy hubs on the Aspire axle?

I bought the car for the mileage, not performance.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Aspire time!
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

you cannot put the festi hubs on the aspire axle, the bolt pattern is different. You can use aspire wheels on the aspire axle, or many many other small wheels. The aspire axle is 4x100mm and the festiva axle is 4x114.3mm.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        Aspire time!
        Aspire time!
        Last edited by TominMO; 05-16-2011, 07:00 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to put shims between the axle stub plate and the axle beam. Might be able to get it close enough that that you get acceptable tire wear. Trying to find an old-school alignment shop in your area that's willing to do it may be a challenge. You may be able to buy some shims from them and do it yourself.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Well, are the axle stubs the same? if not, is the axle stub bolt pattern the same?

I have (I guess) 12" aluminum GL wheels on the car with almost brand new tires. I really don't want to change wheels at this time.

Looking at a manual, it has Festiva and Capri in it, I know the Capri had a different rear axle, independant, but would the bolt pattern be the same on the wheels and would it bolt in? (I'm guessing not, that the pan is probably totally different.)
            1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
            2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
              Depending on how bad it is, you may be able to put shims between the axle stub plate and the axle beam. Might be able to get it close enough that that you get acceptable tire wear. Trying to find an old-school alignment shop in your area that's willing to do it may be a challenge. You may be able to buy some shims from them and do it yourself.
              Yeah, shims are kinda scary though. I really would like to do the Aspire swap, but that's not really in the cards right now. I guess if I did, aftermarket wheels with the 4x100 & 4x114.3 would be the trick. Is the backspacing the same for the Aspire and Festiva?
              2005 Accord - wife's DD
              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

If an Aspire swap doesn't fit the bill right now, the next best would be a replacement axle beam from another Festy. It may be the problem is in the stub shaft assy itself and the actual beam is OK? You may be able to just swap the stub shaft assy from another Festy....that would be fairly easy to do. My guess, however, is the mounting flange on the axle beam is bent. Have you had it put on an alignment rack? Do you know how far out it is?

To answer your question, the Festy axle stubs will not bolt to an Aspire beam.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Haven't put it on a rack, the top of the tire leans out and the front is toe'd in, I'm pretty sure it's the flange.

Found a white '93 at PAP, still had the full rear axle under it. $35, planning on getting it Saturday. The car also was an A/C car, has most of the wiring and has the stuff that goes on the firewall. The condenser and compressor are gone and the hoses cut. I'm going to try and snag some of that stuff too.

Drove it over there, had problems getting back. Will post in the REPAIR HELP FORUM.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Ive got a couple of unbend original torsion beams already removed from the cars collecting dust. Id take $50 for your pick.
                    sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Went to PAP today at lunch to pull the axle out of the only Festy they had. Got the whole thing minus the cables as I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the main cable. I even got the control arm mounts, drums, ect. The assembly was $35, but the rats charged me $7.50/ea for the drums, two $2 core charges for said drums so $49!!! I grabbed my ankles and took it like a man, no lube.....
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                        Went to PAP today at lunch to pull the axle out of the only Festy they had. Got the whole thing minus the cables as I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the main cable. I even got the control arm mounts, drums, ect. The assembly was $35, but the rats charged me $7.50/ea for the drums, two $2 core charges for said drums so $49!!! I grabbed my ankles and took it like a man, no lube.....
                        Nice lunch break !!
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I did it in right at 50 minutes, in and out the door. The engine looked pretty complete, but that was about it. It was a 5-spd car that the tranny was gone, no good body panels, maybe the hatch. It was an L, no front seats, had A/C but the compressor and condenser were gone and the lines cut. Might go back for the radio harness as it still had the factory AM/FM radio in it, mine is hacked. Most of the glass was out of it, no bumpers. The radiator and fan were in the back seat.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

$49 ain't bad at all for the complete assembly. I've seen yards asking a couple hundred before, both for Aspire or Festy.
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I drove the car with just the Aspire rear swapped for a while. The slight tilt made it look like a rear wheel drive car. Braking was great though.

Comment

Working...
                              X