It takes a long time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It takes a long time...

It took me 12 years to replace the Gran Torino I had in high school. In October 2008, in the labor/delivery room at Walls Regional Hospital in Cleburne, Texas, my wife and I bid on and won my car for $355. Since then I've put money into it, for brakes, for a tune-up, and I just finished replacing the engine. Now it might need a transmission. I am seriously sick of driving my wife's Durango. Thankfully her heater core went out, I bypassed it, and she says we simply MUST pick up a backup car so when she wants to get that fixed properly (I can't do it at the house, it's too involved) we'll need transportation. My Torino may not be ready then. So I'm shopping for a car. What do I see out my bedroom window? *not actual picture, but close enough*

It took my neighbor 4 years to realize his now 16-year-old son does NOT want to drive a Festiva.

It took him 2 weeks to determine the transmission was still good, and to locate and install a replacement driver's side CV axle...it's been put on and it works fine.

It will take me 4 days to come up with $650.00 to buy the car from him, which hasn't been registered since February 2007.

And finally, it'll take me only a few seconds to be smiling once I sign the title and drive it across his yard into mine.

I haven't taken any pictures yet but it's a silver '91 GL, automatic, no tach, has a wiper, but no defroster, and the radio and the radio/vent/AC bezel is laying on the back seat. Also, the silver paint oxidized and he sprayed over it with a rattle can. He also spray painted the steel wheels with chrome bumper paint. They look great from 20 feet but when you get up close you can tell. And he oversprayed on the tires. I could have told him a thin coating of PAM or something on the rubber would allow it to wipe off clean.

The AC will work again, my wife will make that happen. The car has a whopping 112,000 miles on it and it was owned by a lady who drove it to and from work at the community college until he bought it. That lady was 5'1" and she retired in 2009. So I guess you could say it's a little old lady's car. Of course he's had it since 2007 and it's basically been sitting in his yard the whole time. He drove it around our small town every so often until the axle broke and it's sat for a year now. He changed the axle on it and his kid got his license and didn't want to drive it. So I asked about the car at just the right time.

Unless someone else beats me to it, it's mine on Friday.

edit: I just looked up...I haven't been on this forum since April 2008!
    Last edited by occupant; 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM.
    Alan Moore
    Hill County, TX

2000 Durango, 1976 Gran Torino
    coming soon, a silver 1991 GL auto

Congradulations!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have the makings for a FOTM story!
    A few pics and some more details and you have an excellent entry.
    Last edited by Pu241; 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Congrats on the car (positive thoughts, positive thoughts ) and welcome back!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

So, one post every ten months?! Hopefully we'll see more of you now that you snagged this Festy!
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Welcome back! Hopefully you will get it! I used to live just northwest of Hill County.
          '90 LX

Comment

Love silver festivas
            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

OK, I can do pics. Had to add a new garage at SuperMotors. I've been through so many cars in the last few years, my CarDomain garage is FULL. Can't add more vehicles. Oh well. You asked for pics, so I walked over at sunrise this morning and took what I could.

front detail

silver rattle can to cover peeling

bumper chrome rattle can on the wheels

he really should have oiled up the tires or taped them off or something...

anyway my wife is considering us pulling out extra cash to just buy it sooner since one of her clients paid her $700 for a project up front...might have many more pics soon...
              Alan Moore
              Hill County, TX

Comment

I'd snag that as quick as you can! Looks like a really good deal! Especially at what I've seen Festivas selling for lately. Although it is an Auto, still a great deal!
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Wow that one is in great shape!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                  1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                  2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Came home today and he was vacuuming it out, said he had someone coming down from Fort Worth who was a family friend. Needed a $900 car. He told me that he'd rather sell it to me for $650 than some random person for $700. So if the guy lowballs him I'm ok. Otherwise I'm back to looking for another car.
                    Alan Moore
                    Hill County, TX

Comment

It's gone. He sold it to the family friend for $800. I got my deposit back. Looking for something else now and collecting CL ads now to bookmark and contact.
                      Alan Moore
                      Hill County, TX

Comment

Aww You'll find another.
                        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                        14 C7 Z51

Comment

That's wrong, dude. You take a deposit to HOLD something, not to sell it then give the deposit back.

I'm sure its not that important to you, but legally, you could actually sue your neighbor for breech of an unwritten contract. Deposits are considered legally binding agreements between a seller and buyer.

Comment

What a disappointment !
                            sigpic
                            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

beautiful catch dude. do her good.

Comment

Working...
                              X