Just Learned That Tires Have a Date Stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Learned That Tires Have a Date Stamp

This information came from an article in the latest AAA magazine, Westways.

Here is a picture of the DOT number from one of my tires.

The last four digits represent the week number followed by the last two digits of the year.

Maybe everyone already knows this, but somehow I missed the memo.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA
    John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Improving anything
    Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Yes, we had had multiple discussions of this.
    But, it is important enough that a reminder wouldn't hurt and maybe a sticky might be created.
    Wondering if we need a sticky section?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Ya know, if I tossed every tire I have that is "unsafe" due to age, I would have to actually buy a set for once.

Comment

Even buying new ones sometimes they can be old to. I seen a show on speed about this.
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Yeap. Dateline had a show on this also

sent from my FESTIVA on me EVO phone
          First time owner
          89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
          Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            Yes, we had had multiple discussions of this.
            But, it is important enough that a reminder wouldn't hurt and maybe a sticky might be created.
            Wondering if we need a sticky section?
            I, too, have given some thought about how best to organize the great pool of information contained in this site.

I can, of course, speak only for myself, but it seems to me the best use of a sticky is to provide information for first time users, e.g. rules and regulations for use of the particular forum. Since stickies don't change much I tend to skip over them and go to the new messages below. If there was a special section for them I think that section might be treated in the same way, gone to only when a new one was posted, otherwise, ignored.

The first idea that came to me was a Wiki section where information could be entered according to the part name, e.g. if you had something you thought important to say about a particular Festiva part you could go to the Wiki and either, create the page if it hadn't already been created, or add to the existing page you own ideas.

A good example to study is the Wiki at Rock Auto. When you get to the catalog listing for a particular part, e.g. water pump, you will see a link at the top for "WIKI". Clicking on that will take you into their Wiki system. You have to be logged in to add to it, but anyone can read what is there. Here is their WikiHelp page.

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

I've not spent much time there, only just looked at it for the purpose of this post, but I'm sure there is useful information to be had. The biggest problem I see is that the comments are arranged by year and model and engine, just the way the catalog is. For our purposes, since we are dealing with much less variation among years and models, it could be simplified to just deal with all of our cars as one year and model. So what, if you have to skip a comment about an Aspire or two.

This would take a good deal of work to set up and require a certain computer sophistication on the part of members to fully utilize.

For those reasons I have decided that a more active use of tags might be the best approach. Here is a description of that system.

Of course, the original poster should be encouraged to create the appropriate tag for his thread, but others can add tags. For instance, if a reader of this thread thought the information useful he might take the time to add the tag "tires" to it. But even better might be to have moderators add an appropriate tag to every new thread.

In the mean time, I'll start adding a tag when I come across a good and useful thread. If enough people do that, the little used tag system could become an extremely valuable asset.

Another related point that deserves mention here: When I do a search I start by searching only matches found in thread titles. That keeps the hit list smaller, but, of course, doesn't work if the title fails to include what the thread is actually about. In these cases an appropriate tag would be especially helpful.

Just some ideas to think about.

John Gunn
            Coronado, CA
            Last edited by JohnGunn; 05-22-2011, 03:25 PM. Reason: Added link to Rock Auto WikiHelp page.
            John Gunn
            Coronado, CA

Improving anything

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
              Ya know, if I tossed every tire I have that is "unsafe" due to age, I would have to actually buy a set for once.
              I was thinking this information might be useful when considering the value of a used car you are considering buying. Or deciding among used tires at at junk yard.

Unless you're racing, I would agree a careful visual inspection sufficient to judge the condition of a tire.

John Gunn
              Coronado, CA
              John Gunn
              Coronado, CA

Improving anything

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGunn View Post
                I was thinking this information might be useful when considering the value of a used car you are considering buying. Or deciding among used tires at at junk yard.

Unless you're racing, I would agree a careful visual inspection sufficient to judge the condition of a tire.

John Gunn
                Coronado, CA
                FWIW, I get your point.

I've raced on vintage tires, too. For me, anyway, the way I normally drive, I regularly see cornering near the limit of traction, not because I'm speeding, but because I don't like to slow down.

For "normal" users, an adage applies: "Faced with a decision between a curve at 0.6g or greater, or a tree, most tend to chose the latter."

What that means: most drivers don't even understand that the most extreme corner they've EVER taken is still calm compared to the AVERAGE cornering ability of even pre-modern cars, suspensions, tires.

That said; use your friggin head... If it doesn't look safe to you, DON'T RUN IT.
                Last edited by Christ; 05-22-2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

^ so sayeth the lord.... AAAAAAAmmmeeennnnnnnn...
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

John Gunn, I second your idea for a Wiki.
                    I'm also a member at Fordification.com, a site for '67-'72 F series trucks, and they have a Wiki. It's a good database of articles for specifications, common procedures, and such.

~Austin
                    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                      John Gunn, I second your idea for a Wiki.

http://fordification.com/bumpwiki/in...itle=Main_Page
                      I third. I have never liked the stickies and the search thumpers.
                      They both have their places but FAQ's are just that and should be treated differently.
                      Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X