Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I have a 'fix' for my giant hole in my bumper, WDYT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I have a 'fix' for my giant hole in my bumper, WDYT?

WDYT? = What Do You Think? I've got more trimming to do, planning on lining it up with the edges of the hatch. I'll glue it down and fillet the edges to blend it in as sort of a step onto the blue bumper, not trying to make it seemless. The bottom will get attached using the existing screws, may trim the old ones off the blue bumper, the top will get blended into the little step under the hatch, it's edge will also be held down with holes drilled thru both pieces and the "Christmas Tree" pin clips (like hold your plastic inner fenders to the metal outer). The whole thing will then be sprayed 'bumper black'.

Only question is, what do I use for the glue? I know I need to strip the blue paint off to bare plastic, what do I use for that? Mechanical? Chemical? I used some chemical to strip a Dodge Shadow bumper and I don't think it got totally neutralized as when it came back from MAACO, it looked horrible.

1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Should have just replaced the blue bumper with the grey one
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

So you think the melted off right side would have looked better?
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Dude, that's a stock bumper. And just the plastic cover! Get one that's in one piece. No junkyards around?
        Oscar

Comment

BTW, this is a stopgap measure until I find a good bumper. If done right, 90% of people looking at it won't know it didn't come that way.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I know, but there are none to be found around here.

Guys, I know what I OUGHT to do, but my solution HAS to look better than a big hole.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
              ... my solution HAS to look better than a big hole.
              I guess. Have to tried a WTB ad? I think it would save you a lot of work. Good luck!
              Oscar

Comment

well i wont criticize. given the resources i think your solution is nifty. keep an eye out for a good bumper but for the mean time it looks like it will hold up well for you.

Comment

Thanks Christian, I've been looking locally for two weeks, phone calls, scouting yards, even looking in neighborhoods. When you own a vehicle, you see them everywhere, I've seen none.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                    So you think the melted off right side would have looked better?
                    Oh, well I didn't see anything about it being melted?
                    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Here's the ends I cut off.

2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                        I guess. Have to tried a WTB ad? I think it would save you a lot of work. Good luck!
                        Yes I have.

2005 Accord - wife's DD
                        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Shipping is a killer there, luckily they're in Dallas, I plan on going down there in about a month for something else, I contacted them to see if it could be picked up from their warehouse. I'm betting its just an internet store and they have access to different parts in different places, sorta like RockAuto. Thanks Oscar, I'd seen them on EBay before, but never thought to find a location. We'll see.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                          X