Obtaining a patent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining a patent

From a quick Google search I found out it will easily cost a couple grand to start the process. Does anyone have experience with patents or words of wisdom?

I came up with an idea for a wrench that is legitimately useful. I searched youtube and tool catalogs and did not find one like it.
    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
    14 C7 Z51

I saw a tv ad a while ago for a law firm that does that kind of stuff, also you don't have to give CLASSIFIFED technical details, but what does your wrench do? Double as a Crane
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Draw your design and mail it to yourself. Don't open the envelope. This shows what date your idea was concieved. Or go to a notary public.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

It's a a better ratcheting wrench. I bought a craftsmen open end ratcheting wrench set and it's hard to keep the wrench on the nut so I thought of something better.

Originally posted by anomoly40 View Post
        Draw your design and mail it to yourself. Don't open the envelope. This shows what date your idea was concieved. Or go to a notary public.
        As funny as this sounds I understand the reasoning. Thanks
        Last edited by Grey Vw; 05-23-2011, 05:32 PM.
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

I looked into this about 8 years ago.
          I had an idea for a special application alignment tool, built one and it worked awesome.
          Did research, no such thing out there.
          Started into the patent process and the actual development stages and found out real quick it takes literally thousands of dollars before you have an actual product you can safely sell to the public and have the patent protection.
          I still have the tool and no one has came up with one yet.
          Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
          1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

if you do go into the marketing of said wrench, I'd be willing to buy them in various sizes to help defer the thousands of dollars, I'm sure if you went into details and stuff with some members if you save up some $$$ and come to one of the big meets or set one up local.... I want to know more about your idea, I'm working on a few ideas I'd like Patented someday as well.... maybe we can brain up together...
            Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
            89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
            Projects in the works:
            84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

you need to sell the idea to someone that does that kind of manufacturing or distributes those kinds of items. You sell and make big money....then you come up with something else and do it all over again or start development yourself since you now have your own money.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

yeah, what Willie said ^^^ but do all you can do
                Andrew Walker

Current Daily Driver:
                89 Nissan D21 SE V6 5 speed 4x4
                Projects in the works:
                84 Mercedes Benz 300D(T)(Baby) currently awaiting transmission transplant/ full on restoration

Comment

tell the Ron Popeil, he invented the pocket fisherman!! he can help you!

Comment

My ideal situation would be to get the patent and get a big corporation to produce and market them but that is just dreaming. I just remembered that my library has free lawyer advice on Wednesdays. I'm going to see what comes of it.

I just don't want something like this to happen http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/f...3431/index.htm

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                    tell the Ron Popeil, he invented the pocket fisherman!! he can help you!
                    http://www.ronco.com/rco_aboutus.aspx
                    I want one now.
                    Last edited by Grey Vw; 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM.
                    14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
                      My ideal situation would be to get the patent and get a big corporation to produce and market them but that is just dreaming. I just remembered that my library has free lawyer advice on Wednesdays. I'm going to see what comes of it.

I just don't want something like this to happen http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/f...3431/index.htm
                      dude.....I am telling you....sell the idea and let them worry about the patent and such. You can always take a percentage of the profits plus money if you like. But it would be far less of a hassle for someone that has no clue or the means to pay for all that it would take.

Talk to craftsman or stanley .... but don't do anything till you mail all the info back to yourself....do not open the envelope at all unless you need it as proof in court or presence of lawyers.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

I will try to do that, getting a patent sounds like a PITA. Time to do some research and make a couple prototypes if I could stop spending all my money on the festiva!
                        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Have you seen the show Shark Tank, as Whillie SAID, find an invester and sell your idea to them, and yes you will need a lawyer, back in the day of film cameras, you took a picture of your idea, had it developed and sent to a patent office, if you were lucky, the person who developed the film would send all copies for the film back to you, BUT alot of ideas were stolen at the camera counter, but with the age of digital cameras our ideas are alot more safe. Good luck and only show it to people you trust.
                          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            dude.....I am telling you....sell the idea and let them worry about the patent and such. You can always take a percentage of the profits plus money if you like. But it would be far less of a hassle for someone that has no clue or the means to pay for all that it would take.

Talk to craftsman or stanley .... but don't do anything till you mail all the info back to yourself....do not open the envelope at all unless you need it as proof in court or presence of lawyers.
                            I definitely agree the easiest thing for you to do is to sell it to a company and try and get a percentage as well. Easier money, less liability, less investment.

As for the mailing it to yourself. I'm not sure how well that would hold up. In the Music Biz we call that The "Poor Man's Copyright" essentially you mail your song, poem, book or something to yourself so you can prove the day you had created it.

Unfortunately the "Poor Man's Copyright" will not hold up in court, however, any form of art that is "fixed" (meaning it is captured on some type of tangible format such as a CD, mp3, sheet music, etc...) is automatically covered by copyright laws regardless of you registering it. The problem then is not whether your work is copyrighted, it's whether or not YOU are the owner/creator of the work. To prove this, people try to use the "Poor Man's Copyright", unfortunately this method is not credible because it's easily manipulated.

So how this relates to patents I'm not 100% but I have a feeling mailing it to yourself will not protect you.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                            The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I'm working on a mower patent. I got a packet from Oklahoma State University on most everything you have to do the research on yourself so that you don't have to hire a patent research attorney. Luckily for me, I go to church with a patenet attorney that will help me out. My plan is to obtain the patent and sell it, if not, then I'll produce it.
                              1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                              1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                              1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                              1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                              2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                              2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X