Who knows VW and is this a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knows VW and is this a good deal?

I've got a 2002 reflex silver Golf GTI. It has the 1.8 turbo engine, with 5 speed trans. It is in good shape, with 110,xxx miles. I just changed the oil, and also did the timing belt and water pump replacement approximately 1000 miles ago. It is good to go for another 60k. The pump went out soon after i bought it, and I replaced it with a metal impeller pump, new timing belt, tensioner, and pulley. It is lowered on eibach springs, with perfect condition Voxx wheels, on new tires. It also has a Forge blow off valve (also have factory diverter valve), a 3" downpipe with catalytic converter, and a Race N75 valve. There is a neuspeed strut tower bar on the front, as well as a badgeless grill. The interior was just recovered, and looks great. I did the headliner, door cards, and the sunroof panel. There is also a 42dd pillar mounted boost gauge. Windows are tinted, pretty dark, but it has a new inspection sticker. This car has been taken care of, and gets great gas mileage. It hits 12 psi and holds 10. The car blue books for $8,000+, but this car has a reconstructed title. I had it looked at by a mechanic, who said there was no frame damage. The only indication of an accident was a replaced headlight. The passenger side headlight has been replaced, and the fender is faded. Otherwise, the body is straight an can be., which is why I bought it. I am asking $3500 firm.

Previous owner of ZEFstiva

I'm going to look at it tomorrow taking a friend who knows alot more than I do.

Comment

my opinion is STAY AWAY from VW. (i work on them and they're nothing but trouble)
      also i would think it would take a bit more than a broken headlight and wrinkled fender to require it to go through a reconstructed title inspection. i would look really hard at it before you even THINK about purchacing.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Unless you REALLY want one of these, i'd be letting it go. You could get lucky and find it's in great condition, but on the flipside it could cause you a lot of issues, cost you a lot of money & because of its history leave you unable to sell it or having to sell it at even less than you paid for it.
        1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          my opinion is STAY AWAY from VW. (i work on them and they're nothing but trouble)
          also i would think it would take a bit more than a broken headlight and wrinkled fender to require it to go through a reconstructed title inspection. i would look really hard at it before you even THINK about purchacing.
          x2! I had a 93 VR6 VW Corrado bitd and had nothing but problems with it. It worked fine for a while but stuff quickly went sour.....left it at a VW mechanic for over a month and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it and told me to come pick it up! I took a huge loss on that car. I might get a lot of crap for this but if you want another car that isn't a festy look at some Hondas. I love my 00 civic hatchback!
          "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

i have no issue with hondas, just their owners!
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This is what I wanted to hear, I needed to be talked out of this. Everyone else has said the same. Also the same concernes I've had

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                i have no issue with hondas, just their owners!
                Hey! Hope you don't have a problem with me since I also own a festy!
                "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

I also have a honda... but i am also a dick! :p

Honestly though, i've had nothing but great experiences with my hondas of the past (5 now) haha

Comment

My VW has done me well, the problems it's had were mostly my fault. My dads 2000 Jetta TDI has also been good except for a tps. A diesel VW is the only VW i'd buy.
                    91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
                    14 C7 Z51

Comment

^ true that

Comment

We have had about 10 VW's come in within the past month at work with around 100k and they all have either had oil pressure problems or are just burning oil like a sob. That concerns me about them since we have had so many with the same problems like that.

Comment

Working...
                        X