12 inch wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 inch wheels

Hi Yall - Went to Les Schwaab for a general peek at the under carriage. Specifically the condition of the original shocks and struts. Said they we're suprisingly good for an '88. Anyway - He said that 12 inch wheels will always ride pretty rough. Even with new tires, struts, shocks, whatever. "Nature of the Beast" thing. I guess this question would only pop up on a Festiva Forum. What do the 13'' and up wheel folks think (as far as stock suspension goes)?
    Last edited by bastille10; 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM.

Simple answer. Move up to 13". Get some wheels from geo metro. You will have more tire selection, which can in turn be cheaper than 12's. Better ride, traction, comfort, etc. Of course it depends on the tires you get but generally you will have better options!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
        Simple answer. Move up to 13". Get some wheels from geo metro. You will have more tire selection, which can in turn be cheaper than 12's. Better ride, traction, comfort, etc. Of course it depends on the tires you get but generally you will have better options!
        +1. Unless a person is a purist and wants to keep it as it came from Korea, there is no good reason to stick with 12" tires.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I installed the Geo rims on mine and have been very pleased with the results.
          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            +1. Unless a person is a purist and wants to keep it as it came from Korea, there is no good reason to stick with 12" tires.
            OK..sounds like a good idea.
            Still have 12 inch wheels on Ole Yeller. The tires still have fairly good tread but they are almost 7 years old. Don't want to change the suspension but would like to go to 13" but don't have a lot of cash to spend on fancy wheels.
            What 13" wheels that will fit the Festiva am I most likely to find at a junk yard?

Comment

Originally posted by 1990new View Post
              OK..sounds like a good idea.
              Still have 12 inch wheels on Ole Yeller. The tires still have fairly good tread but they are almost 7 years old. Don't want to change the suspension but would like to go to 13" but don't have a lot of cash to spend on fancy wheels.
              What 13" wheels that will fit the Festiva am I most likely to find at a junk yard?
              You shouldn't have a problem finding geo metro 13's there is also a sticky somewhere with a large list.

With my blue car I got 13" steelies for 12 bucks a piece from a junk yard then put on 4 brand new tires for 17$ a piece :p Unfortunately I've never found the tires again. So far so good though!
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I've even found four Metro 13s with brand new tires at the JY! $16 per tire/wheel.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                  I installed the Geo rims on mine and have been very pleased with the results.
                  I have installed 13" wheels but not happy with the results due to my choice of tire size. I installed 155/80/13's because that is all I could find locally. I had purchased some 145/70/13's from tireeasy.com but after they were installed they were found to be way out of round. I have lost acceleration and at least 2 mpg. Try to stick with tires that are close to the stock diameter.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

I'm running mine with 175/70/13's and other than just a tiny amount of rubbing during hard corners I've had good luck with them. I knew I would lose a little acceleration and mpg but it was a good trade off vs. ride quality and tire availability.

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

Thanks for the input everyong.
                      Anyone else have negative comments about the 13" tires.
                      I checked Tire Rack for the 12" tires that I buy from them from my festiva, and they do not carry the Yokahama 13" tires for the Geo Metro.

Other that improved ride and possibiy better availability, what are other advantages for switching to 13"

Comment

Do you have a local Discount Tire? That's where I bought mine for like $220.

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                          Do you have a local Discount Tire? That's where I bought mine for like $220.
                          Sound like it may be a better deal, but the thing is thought, I just paid $262.00 including shipping (mounted them myself) for the 12" Yokahamas for Junkyard Save in April. The same ones that I bought over 4 years ago that ran for over 75,000 and still had maybe 10,000 miles of tread on them
                          (Considering the fact that I discovered that my rack and pinion was bad when I had the new ones balanced that was exceptional.).
                          I had previously bought discount tires for my Festiva's and my experience with them was not nearly as good.

As long as I can get 12" inch tires like these at this price, I think I'll stay with them for now.
                          Anyway, at my age and the number of miles we are driving now, I may not have to ever buy any more.

Comment

Working...
                          X