Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of 5-speed Tranny?

Guys -

Found a 5-spd transmission with a little > 100K miles for $350 (cost w/o shipping). Is that a good deal or not? Have seen some go for a lot less on here but those were a little higher on the miles.

Thoughts?

(P.S. I didn't post this in the WTB/FS forum because it's more a feeler. If admin wants to change it that's fine with me.)

Thanks!
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

I might pay that if I were in a hurry and it came with at least a 30 day warranty. Otherwise, it sounds a bit much. I think $250 or so would be my normal limit, however, different parts of the country have different levels of "parts difficulty." Then there's your ability to buy a parts car and strip other things off it before you junk the shell, etc.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

My brother graduates boot camp the last week of july or first week of august. If you can wait that long I can bring one from WV to tulsa. Just give me like 75 bucks for it or whatever.

If not ill take 150 plus shipping. I have 3 known good trannies! Trying to make some cash so we can start making side skirts again.
      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-31-2011, 11:19 AM.
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

I wish you were in FL. The junkyards here sell transmissions for like $110. I would help ya pull one.
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
        1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
        2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
        2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

To give you an idea on shipping costs, I recently shipped an Aspire manual transmission from Pa to TX via FedEx Ground for $52.00.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
            My brother graduates boot camp the last week of july or first week of august. If you can wait that long I can bring one from WV to tulsa. Just give me like 75 bucks for it or whatever..... I have 3 known good trannies!.......
            Yeah, I can wait that long!

How many miles on the 3 trannys? Do you also have the 5-spd shifter/linkage? VERY interested!!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisofna View Post
              I wish you were in FL. The junkyards here sell transmissions for like $110. I would help ya pull one.
              Mighty nice of you to offer. Trust me, out here in the Festiva-boons of Oklahoma, I wish I was back East, too.

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
              To give you an idea on shipping costs, I recently shipped an Aspire manual transmission from Pa to TX via FedEx Ground for $52.00.
              Yeah, shipping was $50, which I think is very reasonable. What I don't like was he was going to send it in a cardboard box. I'm not so sure a transmission would pack/travel well in just a box when UPS / USPS is throwing it around, moving it between planes/trucks, etc.

Still debating but leaning towards what '91 festy Gl' can send me.
              Last edited by Twistiva; 05-31-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

depending on the day, i can get manual trannys for $35... just have to pull it myself and that's about 45min of work so it's quite a deal.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The local yard here charges $250, regardless of mileage. I know the rebuild kit minus syncros runs $200 online
                  (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

that's crazy, you guys need to move over my way!
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have 2 E-series trannies and 1 G-series which is my brothers. I thought they were all E-series but they are not. Ill be using 1 of the E-series but the other will be up for grabs.

Comment

I have 2 E-series trannies and 1 G-series which is my brothers. I thought they were all E-series but they are not. Ill be using 1 of the E-series but the other will be up for grabs.
                        E-series? G-series?

Can you educate me???

Plus, how many miles on the remaining E-series tranny?

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                          E-series? G-series?

Can you educate me???

Plus, how many miles on the remaining E-series tranny?
                          G-series is more for swapped engines. The E-series is the tranny your stock festiva comes with. I have no idea on mileage. We used it on a B8 swap with a race clutch and didn't have any problems. The tranny was beat on so I can't guarantee it wont break a few thousand miles later. Might be cheaper to find one close to you. The aspire 5 speeds used the same tranny aswell. Might find one if you look for a aspire.
                          Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

G-series is more for swapped engines. The E-series is the tranny your stock festiva comes with. I have no idea on mileage. We get these cars often and i'm not sure what car it come from. I know it come from a running car that had no issues.
                            Hey, thanks for the education on G/E-series info.

How clean was the fluid from the E-series tranny you're not going to use? Any idea?

Trying to find a tranny with a fair amount of life left in it. Pls let me know.

Cheers!

Comment

Umm. I edited my post. I still have the one I was going to use but its still in the parts car. Might just end up using the one we had with the B8 swap since that's what I will be swapping into my new car. I can let you know the mileage on the one thats in my parts car if you want. The history is unknown on that one. The clutch was also fried too.

Comment

Working...
                              X