• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Search of America's Cheapest Car

I saw this on msn today.

1988 Ford Festiva ($550)

1988 Ford Festiva
    I feel like an ogre inside a pregnant roller skate, sitting in this thing. But if your tax return needs to buy a car and two-weeks-worth of gas, this thing is your ticket. The 1988 Festiva had an EPA-rated MPG of 38 in the city, but most Festiva owners today boast something closer to 45 or better. And considering gas prices are above $3.50 a gallon in all but one state, you might consider being an ogre for that.

Now, even brand-new out of the box, the Festiva was neither feature-rich — Car and Driver's review noted that it was "remarkably well outfitted" because as it included "an AM/FM stereo radio with a clock," standard — nor a relative pleasure on the road. And, hate to say it, but the Festiva's suspension hasn't exactly gotten smoother in the four subsequent presidential administrations. It's a little like driving a vibrator — you feel every piece of gravel, every crack. And it's not bone-shaking so much as potentially bone-destroying; the 1988 Festiva received one of the NHTSA's worst-ever ratings for passenger head injuries.

Still, you gotta love when a speedometer maxes out at eighty-five on top of tires approximate size of the new Ford F-150's steering wheel. It's sounds like a party, looks like a land monster, and ends up — not unlike most twenty-year-old pieces of machinery that ought to sell for twice as much — somewhere on the upside of disappointing
    Daily= Phostiva: Turbo bp.megasquirt. full aspire swap. G5M-R. 14.2 E/T @104
    Weekends= 1997 Camaro SS:Fully built 4l60. LT1 355 W/ LT4 hot cam kit. C.A.I. Headers.
    Project= 1985 Monte Carlo SS. Stock

Ive got some news. Nothing runs on less money then a festiva. The hands down winner by far for decades now !! Its proven itself year after year, there are no questions in my mind about that. BTW, my festys ride nice. To reduce head injuries, stay off the cell phone. Its the typical speil of someone who doesnt know what they are talking about. Bring on any contenders !!
    Last edited by freshtiva; 05-31-2011, 10:30 PM.
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Not true over here , you can get a bunch of cars cheaper before you can find a cheap festy. Prolly because of our higher gas prices.

Some exemples: Cavaliers , and basicly anything old -V6 american cars (Ex:buick regal).

And Probes? Good luck finding that over here.

Comment

No contention from this side of the world! I'll continue to drive my vibrator with my high-speed tires, big-brake upgrade and stiff suspension that tells me every inch of the road that I'm passing Porsches on! Any other vehicle and they'd call it "natural" feeling. I'm tired of the world calling our cars crap-boxes. I'll buy that '88 for $600, and pass Mr. Pretentious in his E-class after I drop $2K into a motor, trans, and Aspire swap. BRING IT ON!
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

DriverOne +1 and E classers - 0.

Comment

Working...
          X