Tire diameter difference on FWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire diameter difference on FWD

Question....How much damage would it cause to the drive-line of a front wheel drive vehicle if the tread on one of the tires is 5/32, and the other one is 7/32 ?

........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

probably none. as long as its a standard fwd and has no viscous coupler or "power adjusting" feature like that of an AWD car

Comment

corrrect! and even if you have an LSD, that's not enough rotational differance to cause engagement. and if it buggs you that much, swap sides and one wheel the other tire till it's even LOL!
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It's an 03 Matrix and after measuring the depth myself, The difference in OD diameters is probably more like a strong 1/16' if not 1/8"
        In a mile that's a difference of several rotations......do you guys still feel it would be OK ?

Last edited by jmye1524; 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM.
        ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

its fine

Comment

No problemo. The only time you really have to worry is when you have AWD. Bear in mind that when people run their space-saver spare tires, they are significantly smaller than real tires (not so much for Festivas, but in general).
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by jmye1524 View Post
              It's an 03 Matrix and after measuring the depth myself, The difference in OD diameters is probably more like a strong 1/16' if not 1/8"
              In a mile that's a difference of several rotations......do you guys still feel it would be OK ?
              The thing you are concerned about is that the spider gears would be turning all the time. The amount they would be turning with your difference in tire sizes is nothing compared to the amount they turn when you make a left or right turn in the city from one street to another. One 90 degree turn in the city would probably be equal to several miles of straight driving with your different tire sizes so stop worrying about it.
              You gonna race that thing?
              http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

^ yeah!!! anyway, what he said! lol :p

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
                  stop worrying about it.
                  OK ...You are now going to be held responsible if something happens...the fall guy......Thanks

Comment

^ i'm not sure how to take that...

but he's still right, stop worring about it, the trans is designed to deal with differances in tire diameter (look at the size of the spare most cars have, usually 2" shorter than the full size and you can travel at highway speeds without damaging the trans).

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      ^ i'm not sure how to take that

Just kidding.....Thanks for your input

Got some extended thread lug nuts, and got them mounted today. Now I need to drop it 3", tint and ground FX.

Last edited by jmye1524; 06-03-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X