No announcement yet.

Anybody seen this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford is announcing a 3cyl turbo charged, direct injected, .9L engine that puts out 135hp (according to MotorTrend), is lighter and will make better MPG than a current 1.6L offering. They are planning to offer it in the new Fiesta and eventually the redesigned Focus. The same EcoBoost technology is offered in a V6 for the new F150 as well. They are also developing a light duty Diesel for use in the F150 line. Not to mension the Hybrid Fusion & Escape that have been available for quite some time. That sounds to me like they are using new technology and working to give America more fuel efficient vehicles, while still satisfying our demand for power. One other thing to consider, Congress is actually kicking around the idea of a "mileage tax" where you pay a tax based on the miles you drive. One of the reasons is to offset the decrease in tax revenue used to maintain the roadways. Supposedly, since the majority of cars are on the road are more efficient, the road tax accessed on every gallon of gas is not sufficient.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

We pay a mileage tax already, in the form of Federal and state taxes assessed when we fill up the tank.

The real issue with our not getting the high-mileage motors over here is the fickleness of the consumer. They want them when gas is high, then go back to the land yachts when gas comes down. The auto manufacturers know this, and also know they can make more profit on the big cars loaded with optional luxury features, so they are reluctant to make small cars they will probably get stuck with.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        We pay a mileage tax already, in the form of Federal and state taxes assessed when we fill up the tank.
        They (supposedly) can't make ends meet with that so now they wan't to add a tax based on how many miles you drive per year. Basically, turn all our roads into toll roads. As soon as we (the people) adjust our spending to live within our means by driving less or buying more efficient cars, the tax revenue goes down. Instead of the government adjusting their spending, they just add a new tax!
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

If I can pull 45mpg from my 2005 Toyota Echo Hatchback, which meets and exceeds all the safety standards, I am sure they can make a car with a smaller engine that gets 55-60mpg.

I loved that car! Take a look and tell me what you think.

Comment

the 2011 Ford Focus with the 2.2 (I think that is the right size) and 6 speed auto is pulling 45-47 MPG. Lady that comes in regularly is reporting to me all the time.
            "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            There ain't no rest for the wicked
            until we close our eyes for good.
            I will sleep when I die!
            I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
              the 2011 Ford Focus with the 2.2 (I think that is the right size) and 6 speed auto is pulling 45-47 MPG. Lady that comes in regularly is reporting to me all the time.
              I think the 2011 Focus has a 2.0, as per http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...rd-focus-7.htm

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                I doubt her testing methodology. It just doesn't make sense that she could do that with a 2.0 or 2.2 in a much heavier car, even with better aerodynamics than a Festy. Unless she is driving at 50-55 only on the hwy. John gets 45 MPG with his BP Festy, and at 55 MPH or so the aerodynamics don't matter so much.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I just read that article about the 3-cylinder engine and the fact they are also making a 8-speed transmission. They dont know if they will be used for the american market though. It is suppose to create more jobs here in america which is great. depending if they use the 3 cylinder engine in an american market car or not will determine if I go out and buy one. Although it sounds like a good engine to bring the ford festiva back to the market. Or maybe we could swap in that engine into our little cars for more zip?
                  Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

Comment

Even my parents 2001 Ford Escape is getting 30mpg! Take a look at their fuelly profile! http://www.fuelly.com/driver/darlo/escape

Although it isnt 4x4, it is what the people that want the space and seating need to buy to avoid 18-20mpg! It looks awesome too! I would drive it!

Comment

I'm curious to see how the newly introduced Fiat 500 will fair in N America. To be fair the previous Fiats that came to Canada all disappeared within 3-4 years due to premature corrosion. The Austin Mini used to be a tiny car but the new BMW ones are huge in comparison. The new Italian Fiats have a 1.4 litre engine and claim to produce 110 hp. I have no weight figures on these cars but I have noticed that the Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta weigh '3 passengers more' than a now-vintage Festiva.

Comment

I saw a Fiat 500 Abarth Edition with the turbo on Top Gear (UK version) and that thing looked like a blast to drive Sounds like Fiat's quality hasn't changed much though. As for weight, Motor Trend says the 500 Abarth is 2200lbs .
                        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

I doubt her testing methodology. It just doesn't make sense that she could do that with a 2.0 or 2.2 in a much heavier car, even with better aerodynamics than a Festy. Unless she is driving at 50-55 only on the hwy. John gets 45 MPG with his BP Festy, and at 55 MPH or so the aerodynamics don't matter so much.
                          I know her pretty good and she drives a lot.....to go do bids on jobs and such. Remember....it is a 6 speed auto and after talking with a couple people at Ohiostiva....they said they have heard similar comments.
                          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          There ain't no rest for the wicked
                          until we close our eyes for good.
                          I will sleep when I die!
                          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Let's face it. To the people who own the country we are "consumers". We are to them not much different from the cows a dairy farmer tends so he can squeeze as much milk from them as possible.

As a result, the design of all products is determined solely by how much money they can milk from us consumers.

These owners have learned that we can be manipulated by reviews, articles, and lavish ads to make us "desire" things that we, not only don't need, but that are harmful to our best interests. Causing us to spend more than we can afford for cars with more power than will ever be needed in normal driving is just one example.

Take time to analyze the ads on TV.

Just lately, I've noticed a big increase in ads that begin by telling you all the symptoms a particular drug treats. The list is usually long and general enough that the maximum number of people listening would hear one of their own problems among them. At the end they say something like, "Call this number, or visit this web site, for more information about <insert drug name here> and ask your doctor if <insert drug name here> would be appropriate for your condition." Oh, I forgot to include the part about where they mention failure to treat some of these symptoms could result in death.

The Festiva was designed in another country for a world-wide market, rather than specifically for the USA -- not designed for the exclusive purpose of squeezing American wallets. Surprising that Ford would have imported it. I doubt it would have happened were it not for government CAFE standards of the time.

I could go on and on about this, but by now you will either get the point or not. If you "get it" you are probably wondering what could possible change the unabashed greed that lies at the heart of the system.

It would require nothing less than a fundamental change in American values. We would have to become a country where the people most admired were no longer the extremely wealthy, successful, and powerful, but those who did the most to help and comfort their fellow citizens. I'm not holding my breath.

John Gunn
                            Coronado, CA
                            John Gunn
                            Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                            Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

There's a guy getting those numbers with a 2400lb Neon with a 2.0 DOHC and his one mod is over-inflated Prius size tires IIRC. He goes faster than 55. He has a full interior, no extreme aero mods, and does things that could be designed into any EFI and TCU controller.

It is very possible.
                              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                              X