Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to buy a festiva...what do I need to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to buy a festiva...what do I need to do.

I'm 16 and i've found somebody who said their friend has a decent running festiva for $200. Its going to be a project car/ beater. I have some experience working on cars and I know enough about them because I read stuff all the time. I've never bought a car before though, what do I need to do to make everything legal and official. I need to make a bill of sale and get the title right? What all exactly do I have to put on the bill of sale? Is there anything else? Thanks.

Try and get the bill of sale to be $1 so you don't have to even pay the tax on $200 and yeah that's all you need to do. Then you just need to have it titled in your name, registered, and insure it...
    Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Do i just have to go to the DMV to do all that stuff? What about me being a minor, will I need a parent with me?

Comment

I'm not positive but I would probably bring a parent just in case...
        Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

First off what State are you from , ^^ like he said yes, you should bring a parent, State to state is different ,I won't go into all that, but here in Ill. a dealer cannot sell a car to someone under 18,
          and some private individuals that know the law won't sell to minor either.
          Good luck
          ------------------------------------------------
          The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
          Smart Passion white with H-D interior
          HD2500 Duramax Chevy
          Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
          Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
          Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
          Z28 LS1 power 500 +
          90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
          It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

thanks, I'm in Kansas

Comment

Good luck!

Let us know if you get it.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

thanks, so far all i've heard (from another forum) was the guy had a friend with one for sale for $200, sent him a PM and still waiting for a reply.

Comment

look for your state DMV website i have experience with it before in my state and there is lots of printable forms and info Also my state has a vanity plate availability search!
                  Our lady of blessed acceleration dont fail us now!

Comment

Hey Beastiva...

What part of Kansas are you in? Wichita here, and yes you have to be 18 or have a parent with you if a minor when you register at the DMV. $200 is not a bad price. BUT... The $1 thing wont work in KS. They have a list that shows what each car is worth and will charge you sales tax regardless of what you paid for it! That law passed last year and it bites!

I got my 92 GL for $200 as well and it was in great shape except for it needing a clutch, which is why I got it for the price. I guess the garage wanted to charge the guy $300 for clutch replacement. I bought a kit for $80 and it was on the road after a weekend in the garage.

Any chance you're down around the Wichita area?
                    Good luck!
                    Rob "BossMan" Petty

Comment

I'm up in OP/Lenexa.

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to FFC. Looks like you live in the area. Hope you get your car. If you do, this is a great forum. Very help full and informative site/members.
                        sigpic
                        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

DMV

BossMan:
                          Whats the DMV list say a 1992 Festiva is worth for tax purposes?
                          sigpic
                          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

They usually say 700-800 in Washington, and they also say that a car no matter waht shape and condition is at least worth 200 dollars!
                            Does every state do this??

Mike
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2162509
                            First known g25mr with Hydraulic clutch swap

Comment

no....iowa charges sales tax on what you paid........or at least what you say you paid...but you have to have the previous owner fill out a damage disclaimer stating that the vehicle hasnt sustained x number of dollars in damage while they owned it....

Comment

Working...
                              X