Aspire undercarraige on a Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire undercarraige on a Festiva

My 'over-the-winter' Aspire/Festiva undercarriage swap included the front sway bar and so far in the course of 3000km (2000mi) has been entirely positive. The car is much more stable on the highway, the brakes are way better and the car (all of the parts are still stock) sticks to corners like glue, and I (owner/operator) have suddenly been 'liberated' from having to buy and use single-source 'wheelbarrow tires'. I threw on a set of used (1992, the seller claimed) alloy VW wheels (with ballseat wheelnuts, 175/70-13s) right off the bat. Turning radius has changed considerably (can't explain that since the tires don't rub) to the negative but in every other regard this experiment has been grand and well worth the effort.
    On one highway run with the car pre-swap it achieved 5.3 litres/100. Right now with the larger tires the speedo reads 12% low (meaning I can run right at the speed limit according to the instrument) and engine revs are obviously going to be lower overall. Power is still there and I don't have any complaints. Anyone out there contemplating a BP engine hybrid should definitely figure on finding a homely Aspire parts car in anticipation of enjoying all that extra power. Stock Festiva brakes and springs already suck an egg and another 20-50hp is only going to exaggerate that fact.
    I will get back to the Forum when the shocks and springs business is resolved. Roger at FMS (I think) is winding down his operation and not particularly interested in stocking parts nor encouraging new business. Which is too bad since Mopar has recently decided to market the Fiat equivalent of an already 20 year old car Ford/Mazda/Kia that weighed '3 passengers less' right out of the box.

Good post! Keep us informed....

I've got Capri XR2 front brakes, and recently completely redid the stock Festy rear brakes. Master cylinder is stock Festy, which is more than enough with the massive front brakes! I also stuck a 5/8" threaded bar in the rear axle beam, which now makes it as stiff as the Aspire beam.

My motor is a B6, with cat-delete pipe and advanced timing.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

My car also has an Aspire swap. It was so nice to just roll up into PnP and pick up a set of 175/70-13's already mounted up on a set of wheels and just bring them home and bolt them on.
      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Can anyone tell me if a 94-95 aspire engine EFI can be swapped in to a 93 festiva with a FI? At least without too much trouble?

Comment

^^^
          Yes

What do you call a lot of trouble?
          Last edited by Pu241; 06-08-2011, 05:40 PM.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by stjmnsota View Post
            Can anyone tell me if a 94-95 aspire engine EFI can be swapped in to a 93 festiva with a FI? At least without too much trouble?
            Are you asking if you can swap the Aspire engine into a Festiva or the fuel injections parts?

If you're referring to the engine, then yes. It's almost a direct swap. Just use the Festiva intake and exhaust manifolds and crank pulley from the 93 Festiva to retain your V-belt setup. I swapped a 96 Aspire motor into my 93 Festiva almost a month ago.
            Last edited by Zanzer; 06-08-2011, 09:30 PM.
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

I'm planning to swap a lo-mile 97 B3 into a 93 car but will retain all of the Festiva peripherals. Way more wire, do-dads and sensors on the Aspire version. I personally think you're best off to keep things as simple as possible.
              Of course the minute I suggest something like that I'll find out that someone out there managed to install airbags into a Festy.

Comment

Ok then, thanks for clarifying

Yes, just use your Festiva manifolds and crankshaft pulley and you're good to go :thumbup:
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                X