The 'fuelly' economy thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
    I went up to 41.3 on my first full tank of 89oct e10 after my 5spd swap. I don't drive the car easy, so I'm pleased with the results. If only I could get non ethanol fuel I'd easily get 3-4 mpg more. I hate E10!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if there is 10% ethanol, you will only see an increase of 4.2% or about 1.7mpg. This is because ethanol burns at 60% as efficient as "regular" gas. so at 90% gas and 10% ethanol, this would mean that the new mixture that burns at 96% as efficient. FUN FUN FUN!

Comment

I use ethanol-free fuel so I can't even blame that. I figure I'll look at the quick fixes first and change the air filter and ignition leads which are both long overdue anyway, then maybe look at the fuel pump and go from there...
      200,000KM milestone!

Comment

I guess you are right about that. I have and have had turbo cars that suffered more of an economy loss due to E10. I guess it's due to the 11:1 air fuel ratio under boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
          Even if there is 10% ethanol, you will only see an increase of 4.2% or about 1.7mpg. This is because ethanol burns at 60% as efficient as "regular" gas. so at 90% gas and 10% ethanol, this would mean that the new mixture that burns at 96% as efficient. FUN FUN FUN!
          Nope. In my '03 4.0 SportTrac when I run 100% gas I get an average of 400 miles to the tank. With E10 I average 350 miles to the tank. That's 12.5% worse. E10 is 10 cents cheaper that 100% so it actually costs more money to run E10. ($3.59 vs $3.49 currently)
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
            have you calculated the percentage difference between these and stock? Your Speedo will be off so you may have been calculating your mpg wrong.

Example in my case I have 13's that are 7% larger so I have to multiply my total miles by 1.07 then calculate my MPG
            I thought my car seemed a bit off. I forgot to factor in the change to 13" tires and Metro rims

Although, I went back and tried to recalculate my fill-ups taking this into consideration and now I have my Fuelly profile all screwed up LOL :blackeye:

Math > me @ 3am
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Going from 12" to 15" wheels WRECKED my mpg and yes I factored in the difference using the GPS trip. I went from 38 in town to 30 on the hgwy.
              youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

^^ Yikes! :shock:

That almost makes me wanna stick with 12's!
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                  Going from 12" to 15" wheels WRECKED my mpg.
                  Unfortunately for me my mpg has been this way for as long as I can remember even back on its stock 13" wheels (13" stock in Australia) but in saying that I didn't know any better until noticing the fuelly signatures on FF, it was then that I begun to realise my economic car isn't as economical as it should be. Though I'll be keen to see what my first tank on 15" wheels comes in as, so far just under half a tank and it seems to be drinking it at the usual rate.

I should find out what kind of mileage the other aussies on FF are getting too.
                  Last edited by Click_It; 06-15-2011, 01:01 AM.
                  200,000KM milestone!

Comment

I'm getting 40+ consistently on my paper route.... Which is even worse than city driving.

My Fuelly is doing something funky. My signature number is different than my figure on the actual site..... what am I doing wrong? Lol
                    Buck.
                    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                      My Fuelly is doing something funky. My signature number is different than my figure on the actual site..... what am I doing wrong? Lol
                      Looks OK to me.
                      Your badge shows an average MPG of 36.3 and the fuelly site, when I go to your link shows:

Basic Stats
                      (+0.4)
                      avg MPG

(+2.3)
                      last MPG

(3/23/11)
                      best MPG

All seems in order to me.
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Click_It View Post
                        I recently set up fuelly (had records dating back 12 months thus the 14 fill ups) and the first thing I noticed is my economy is considerably behind my american counterparts. I'm trying to understand why this is. I live in a hilly area and most of my driving currently is shorter city trips with little highway mileage so this is obviously playing a role. I don't drive hard, I coast in traffic where possible. My B3 is carby, is that also playing a big part? Despite the disadvantages above I still feel I should at the very least be achieving mid 30's. Surely you guys aren't just doing easy highway miles so something is wrong at my end.

Extreme mods aside what might be a few things to look into? I recently changed the fuel filter. Have tried cleaning up the carb, even running injector/carb cleaner through the tank. New spark plugs (although still running old leads), haven't touched the fuel pump yet. Any suggestions welcomed.
                        I'm sure it's a combination of things:
                        1. Carbys will get worse mileage due to less-precise fuel metering; you can improve both power and MPGs with a Weber carb though.
                        2. Hills and city driving. Can't do too much about them unless you move. But you can try hypermiling techniques to help out. Coasting is a part of that, but there is more you can do. http://www.hypermiling.com/car-mpg.html
                        3. Heavier wheels/tires require more energy to get moving from a stop, so here is another way you are taking a hit with city driving. On the other hand, on the hwy you should get better mileage since they are taller and so will raise your overall gearing.
                        4. Make sure your rear bearings and brake shoes aren't too tight.
                        5. Do a complete tuneup--disty cap, rotor, plug wires/leads.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Many carbys have reported 48-49 mpg even with ac on.
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                            You probably have your own fuelly set to "UK" and your sig is in "US". You would see a difference then.

Comment

I just entered in my last one, and went 545kms in only 26.918 liters (338miles in 7.111 gallons (US)) For a grand total of 47.6mpg!

Comment

Possibly a bad habit I have is idling the car before I go out, especially in winter I will let it idle for minutes sometimes as I brush my teeth etc. It's a habit I've had since my very first car but maybe all this is doing is chewing fuel excessively. How long do you guys let the car warm up before driving? (I'm carby not EFI)
                                200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Working...
                                X