Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric fan pusher or puller? Your thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fan pusher or puller? Your thoughts...

Ive been looking around here and noticed that some people choose to run their electric fans as pushers,(front of rad) and then some as pullers (behind)

Is there any benefit to having it in front of radiator, or was there just no room
    Between the radiator and tranny?

Im hoping I'll still have room after my IC Piping, and intake are mocked up, cause right now it looks like my 12" slim fan on a 92-95 civic radiator will just fit. (G series trans, B6T)
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Pulling the air through is more efficient than pushing it.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Space constraints, normally. Clean engine bay, sometimes.

You're getting more air than you need at speed anyway. I often run cans without fans, but I don't let them idle more than 30 seconds or so, either, so they never over heat.

Comment

I figure fans typically from factory are set up as pullers, so that's why I like to keep fans as pullers

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Pro's of Pushers: Fan motor runs cooler, which leads to longer life. More room in the engine bay. A cleaner look.
          Con's of Pushers: Fan blocks the air flow, especially the center 4" diameter. Also does not cool the radiator outside the fan's coverage.

Pro's of Pullers: With shrouding, the whole radiator is cooled. Air flow through the radiator is not blocked by the fan, motor, or frame. Fan motor gets some cooling.
          Con's of Pullers: Shrouding & motor take up a good size of space.

Note:Fan Motors are usually run for a short time, so fan motor temperature is not important. The B3 motors are easy to keep cool.

Comment

Working...
          X