how does everyone pull an engine at the yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does everyone pull an engine at the yard

I found a guy that has a B6 in a tracer and a 92 MX3 with a (whatever you guys tell me it is) good runner in it as well. He told me $100 for B6 and $175 for the other but I need to pull them.

Question is how or what is the best way to do so? My brothers tractor has a picker but no way to transport it. Don't have a truck with a picker like I have seen some people have. Suppose a tripod would work but don't know how to even start that.
    Last edited by Gomez; 06-27-2011, 06:49 AM.
    -Bryant

Are the cars on the ground or up on the makeshift "wheel jackstands" that many yards use. Does the yard have a forklift? Usually you can unhook everything, then the guy will come with the lift and a chain and just snatch it out of there for you. Goes really quick if you just cut all pipe and hoses (you will be using new anyway for the swap) and cut off as much of a pigtail as you can on each sensor harness and the main injector harness.

If they don't have a lift you might be able to just drop the whole thing (engine/trans) out the bottom if you can get the car up high enough. Then separate engine from trans and get a buddy to help heave the motor into the back of a truck or the festiva.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Just call Paul he can flip the car over and Carry the motor on his back home
      For you !
      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

At our yard the owner brings his wrecker over and hooks the engine up to the sling on the back.
        89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
        My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Borrow or rent an engine hoist and get a couple sheets of plywood. Use the plywood to make yourself a "floor" for the hoist to move on. Pull the engine out the top and drop it in the back of a pick up.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

think festy46 might have the one. This guy is just some guy down the road that has about 25 cars or so in his yard. No forklift etc. They are on a bit of a hillside but may still be possible.

No doubt Paul could do it. He's just quite a few hours away.
            -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
              They are on a bit of a hillside...
              If you're working on a hill, you will definitely want to make sure both the car and whatever you're using to pull the motor with are chocked as stably as possible. Good luck.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Dropping out from the bottom works well in a pinch, but if you can rent an engine hoist life gets a lot easier. I actually bought a 1 ton hoist at harbor freight for under $180. It was well worth it.

Another option for pulling it out the top which is completely unsafe for whoever is involved and should probably only be done on a car you don't intend on using again is to cut out the top bar up front, slide in a few 2x6's as ramps, hook a chain to the engine and pull it out the front with a truck/car/whatever. Takes two people because someone needs to guide it out, but it gets the job done.

Or a sturdy tree and a chain hoist would work.

Sent from the bathroom via crapatalk
                Last edited by link5186; 06-27-2011, 02:10 PM.
                91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                95 Grand Prix SE DD
                Wife's Stuff:
                89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

My junkyard has engine hoists you can use.
                  Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
                  1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
                  2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
                  2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

If they have the a frame hoists available I always use a cut seatbelt wrapped thru the hooks or if it doesn't have hooks you can use the manifolds. Just make sure your knots are good square knots or better. There always available and plenty strong. I've lifted the entire front a grand marquie off the stands and it held just fine for over and hour.
                    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

LOL! I'll be right there.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Working...
                      X