Relocating the VIN plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating the VIN plate?

is it legal to relocate the VIN on the firewall? of course i'd keep it on the firewall, i'm just entertaining an idea i have to help disipate heat out of my engine bay

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

I think it varies from state to state. I know in most states its a serious offense. Call your local DMV to find out for sure.
    1921 Model T
    1940 Ford
    1960 F600 Fire Truck
    1963 Ford Falcon drag car
    1964 Ford Falcon Futura
    1964 1/2 Ford Mustang
    1966 Ford F100
    1973 Kenworth K100 Cabover 903CID Cummins
    1976 F650 Dump Truck
    1978 F150
    1980 F350 Pulling Truck
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    1990 Ford Mustang LX
    1992 Ford Festiva
    1992 Dodge D350 Cummins
    2000 Ford F350 Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke

You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do.-Henry Ford

Comment

How about dissipating it out the inner fender well? Or taking that plate off on the pass. side, next to the VIN?
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm thinking vents most of the way across the firewall which includes the plate that the wiper motor is bolted to etc. i got looking at the cowl vents and i'd like to match that width worth of vents on the firewall as well, which would mean relocating the VIN plate
        Last edited by Damkid; 07-03-2011, 03:56 PM.

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Never had anyone look at the VIN in the body...just the dash mounted one!!
          1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
          1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
          1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
          1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
          1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
          1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
          1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

Ah maybe if i think of it, i'll swing by a local body shop on the way home from work tomorrow and ask them since i think that'd be something fairly relevent to them

Comment

Just ask someone at dot.

Comment

You aren't trying to vent the engine bay into the wiper cowl, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                  That does sound like what he's planning. Another thought: modify the hood. Maybe a rear-facing scoop at the rear of the hood.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Classic Mustangs are bad about lifting the front end at around 120mph, the front end is sorta like a wedge, one solution was to stack some washers between the hood hinge and hood and use longer bolts. This vented air from under the hood, which helped a little.
                    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Tinkering with VINs is a highly suspicious business when cars are new, expensive or exotic but no one looks at (or likely even for) the firewall plate on a Festiva. Mine are sprayed over with multi layers of evil asphalt undercoating and the stickies on the door post have been rubbed off or have otherwise 'disappeared'. And during every Ontario e-test anniversary I don't think the technicians even look at the dashboard VIN on any of my stuff.
                      I would argue that you have a legitimate excuse for relocating the firewall VIN, because there is now a functional hole where it used to be, so you've done your bit. Many cars had pop-rivet VINs years ago and I'm of the opinion that Festy's are getting to that vintage now too. What the gov't doesn't know won't hurt them.

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                        Thats exactly what i'm thinking, it'd save making hood scoops or raising the rear of my hood etc.

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        What the gov't doesn't know won't hurt them.
                        Thats what i was thinking as well but figured i'd ask on here first :lol:

Comment

Here's my plan for hood ventilation. Have a closer look at the cowl and you'll see what I have in mind. Very similar to your own plans, Chris, but a little more visible. Special thanks to Ian for his lovely car as donor picture.
                          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Venting engine air into the wiper cowl area might not work too well. The cowl area is a high pressure zone which takes air INTO the vehicle. Even if engine compartment exhaust air overpowers the cowl air, your cabin ventilation is now compromised.

You'd need to seal off the cabin from the cowl area to protect the occupants from engine smells, and possibly any small CO leaks. I think this creates more problems than it would be worth, because you're now going against the car's basic design.

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                              Venting engine air into the wiper cowl area might not work too well. The cowl area is a high pressure zone which takes air INTO the vehicle. Even if engine compartment exhaust air overpowers the cowl air, your cabin ventilation is now compromised.

You'd need to seal off the cabin from the cowl area to protect the occupants from engine smells, and possibly any small CO leaks. I think this creates more problems than it would be worth, because you're now going against the car's basic design.

Karl
                              Good point!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X