Desktop Dyno files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Dyno files

Does anyone here use Desktop Dyno? If so, do you have any B series specific files for cams and airflow? I thought I would ask before I started building my own files because it can be time consuming and the information needed isn't always the easiest to find.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Im not to sure but I know one of the members here can give you a round about guesstimate on what HP you should have depending on what mods you are running. I forget who it was.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

the last time i used desktop dyno it had a mazda BP on it
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

I've been barking up that tree for a long time! I use DD2000, but Ive been looking for airflow specs of the B series heads for a long time. I have the cam file disk, but I just use the 8V profiles for othe 4Cyl motors like VW, Toyota & Nissan. It may have some DOHC grinds as well. I can't believe it has MG and International Harvester profiles but no 8V Mazda. Unfortunately, it's pretty much outdated now. There is a thread on a max-effort N/A B3 started by Mattdickmeyer a couple years ago. He had some flow numbers on a ported B3 head and I use them for a B6. I can see if I can find them if you want.
        Last edited by blkfordsedan; 07-04-2011, 08:30 PM.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I'm just looking for stock stuff at the moment to build some baselines. But any files people may have would be a huge help. DD is only as good as the info you input and I like to do a baseline to see how close it gets to real world numbers. (I'm usually happy if I can get it within 5%). After I'm happy with the baseline, I start adding info and comparing numbers for modifications.

I'm not actually looking for a HP/TQ number for a specific modification I'm thinking of doing. Rather, I'm looking to build a file database so I can do the calculations for various modifications I'm thinking of doing for my car and others I work on (or to help out fellow members who would like a graph of a certain mod they're considering). I'd rather use any files I can find that are already in existence if it saves me some time building a custom one right now. Although it's not exactly true representation of what you'll actually get when you do the modification in real time, it does help when you're brain storming things like cam selection, induction, valve sizes, compression ratio, etc.

When we did the custom grind Comps for my 4.6 I was quite surprised by how close DD was to the number we got on the Mustang Dyno.

If I would just get off my butt and build the flow bench I keep talking about I could easily get the flow data I keep looking for online LOL

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

What version do you have?
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
              the last time i used desktop dyno it had a mazda BP on it
              Yup, it has the basic 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, stuff like that. Nothing for a B3, B6ME, B6T, or B8ME so I was hoping someone had some info for these. Also, none of the pre loads have the cam specs, even for the stock stuff.

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
              I've been barking up that tree for a long time! I use DD2000, but Ive been looking for airflow specs of the B series heads for a long time. I have the cam file disk, but I just use the 8V profiles for othe 4Cyl motors like VW, Toyota & Nissan. It may have some DOHC grinds as well. I can't believe it has MG and International Harvester profiles but no 8V Mazda. Unfortunately, it's pretty much outdated now. There is a thread on a max-effort N/A B3 started by Mattdickmeyer a couple years ago. He had some flow numbers on a ported B3 head and I use them for a B6. I can see if I can find them if you want.
              I'm using a full version of DD03 with all the add-on files but they're pretty outdated as well and pretty much only helpful if you're building a Ford or Chevy V8 LOL. I welcome any info that can help me build some files until I have the capability of getting the information from a flow bench or other methods

I wonder how close the ported B3 is to the stock B6? There's a pretty big difference in valve and runner size on the intake side. Sounds like a good "shoot-out" for future reference
              Last edited by Zanzer; 07-04-2011, 08:42 PM.

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

I wonder how different it is from DD2000? I run a B3 by just changing the bore of the 1.6. I don't have any pre-packaged air flow files, I just have to search magazines & such for flowbench data and build my own files. It does have a selection of "generic" files for head flow and camshaft profiles, but they're probably based on "brand-X". I do have a cam disk that has pretty much every camshaft available in 2000, and I can download the specific profile from any cam into any engine. I assume the '03 version is about the same?
                Brian

Comment

Yes, I've used both 2000 and 2003 and honestly I really couldn't see much difference in the 2 other than the add-on files available.

Like you, I typically try to search magazines and online articles looking for flow data and such but that can be very hard to find depending on what you're looking for. Luckily I can get the cam specs from manuals and AllData.

I guess we've gotten spoiled by the easy availability of flow data for pretty much any head and intake ever made for a 302

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Here's the thread from mattdickmeyer's B3 build. If you read through the thread, he shared some info on the estimated head flow and included some specs & pictures of his ported head. If you have a degree wheel, I can send you a FMS cam to measure up, LOL.
                    Brian

Comment

i have the new stuff from DD and i was able to find some head flow #s online for the B series engines that i stored somewhere and have inserted into some of my "builds".
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...t=27805&page=6
                        Here's the thread from mattdickmeyer's B3 build. If you read through the thread, he shared some info on the estimated head flow and included some specs & pictures of his ported head. If you have a degree wheel, I can send you a FMS cam to measure up, LOL.
                        I do have a degree wheel and I could map the cam if you would be up for that and trust me and UPS with your cam

I read through that thread a long time ago. I'll go back through it and see what I can glean from it :thumbup:

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        i have the new stuff from DD and i was able to find some head flow #s online for the B series engines that i stored somewhere and have inserted into some of my "builds".

Would you be inclined to share the flow numbers you have? I'll say pretty please...give you a dollar.. you can be in my club LOL :mrgreen:

WWZD
                        Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                          I do have a degree wheel and I could map the cam if you would be up for that and trust me and UPS with your cam
                          No problem! You can just send me a set of 4.6 stage I cams as insurance first!!
                          Brian

Comment

How about a set of Sean Hyland 2730's?

I'll even let you hear what they sound like in a car I also have a pic if you want to see it too LOL :mrgeen:

WWZD
                            Zulu Ministries

Comment

...ok apparently i've lost some files.... not good.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X