Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I wrong or does the back side of the cigarette lighter unscrew from the socket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I wrong or does the back side of the cigarette lighter unscrew from the socket?

This is not really repair, and laughably, it's not really that technical.

My car doesn't have a socket, a Festy at PAP does and I'd like to be able to charge my phone,

I tried unscrewing it, but couldn't get it to budge, what am I doing wrong? My wife's Windstar works that way, but since this isn't technically a Ford, I don't know if it's different.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

It kinda twists 90* and then should be able to slide out, then unplug. I've found that it usually doesn't want to come out too easily or without breaking on older cars though. Someone else my have a trick for it. Is the bezel that goes around the socket still intact in your car? If so then you might have better luck getting just the socket from another Mazda at the yard, I know from experience they are the same between the early 323s, Miatas, and 88-92 MX6/626s. On the MX6/626 they are much easier to remove intact because you can take the cover plate off from around the radio and the socket comes with it. Once its out its much easier to remove from the plate than it would be from a festiva because you can get to the back side of it to push the locking tabs down instead of breaking them.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I have nothing, and it doesn't matter now because I just got back and it was gone.

I found one from the console of a Lincoln Mark VIII that has the light up little ring around it. I didn't get it but I'm thinking of pulling that one and just splicing the wires. Then adding the light to the dash lights.

There's a white '90 Protege out there, it might be the same, and it had power fold back mirrors on it. I wonder if they'll fit?
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

There's a really good chance the Protege mirrors will fit with some minor work. Test fit them on a Festiva at the 'yard before you buy, or get a confirmation from someone who has done the mods.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

some trimming and modifying and they will fit. I have a pair of Protege swoopies on Lucky. The power adjustment is nice!
          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
          82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I had planned on doing it before, but the Festy that was out there got hauled off. There's a new one (red L) out there that is quickly being devoured. When I saw it Saturday, it was missing the 5-speed and the wheels.

I got the interior rear view mirror, the dome light, a factory Ford cassette radio (for a future stealth mod), the chrome antenna, the passenger headlight, the passenger front turn signal lens, all 4 center caps (gave 1 to Festfull) two of the fusable links, the bulbs out of the 128k gauge panel, the radiator and fan. Oooh, and I found the shifter gate button on the floor!! I also got the buttons that hold the grilles on the inside of the tail lights.

Someone got the front seats, the A/C system minus the box under the dash, THE FREAKING CIGARETTE LIGHTER I NEEDED BUT COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO REMOVE SATURDAY!!!, the center air vents, the vent controls, the horn button (?!?)

The disty is still there along with the VAF, the coil, CRAP!! I forgot the ignition module!!!, throttle body, door cards are REALLY nice (no splits in the vinyl around the door handles, rear carpet is nice too. It has the late taillights, the passenger amber is faded to clear, both front corner lights as well as the driver's turn lens, the grille, both fenders, doors, hatch, all the glass, rear axle, front struts and brakes, I think it still has it's fuel pump, the rear plastic is almost perfect.

Tomorrow Festfull is going to get the front bumper, all the locks (I found the keys and hid them in another car), he wanted the hose that ran from the condenser to the compressor but it's gone.

I'd like to get the headliner for my blue car as it has an early liner in it, I may get the driver's fender for the blue car (red car has blue bumper, blue car have red fender?!?)
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I was really hopping that the AC system was still there. Thanks for letting me know Larry.

Comment

Hey larry if you need a cigerette lighter socket, I have a few spares. PM me if you want one.
                89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Well, I'm torn between my anality of wanting something that just plugs in, or figuring out if I can improve something so simple.

I know Festfull has one as well and he's local to me, but I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind by chance if he doesn't and which way the scales fall as per my analness vs. the time factor of making an improvement of something so simple.
                  2005 Accord - wife's DD
                  2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Read this thread about cigarette lighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X