93 F450 Diesel running bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
    I just realized I misread the OP. I thought it said the truck was a 94. I see its a 92. OK, so to revise my first question; 92 could have been either a 7.3L IDI or DI. IDI uses a conventional injection pump, the DI uses the CAT HEUI injection system. Diagnostics for each are significantly different. Can you tell which you have?
    Yes Sir, it is a 92 the position of the injecters would lead me to think it is a IDI, the injecters stand straight up, i did check the fuel filters [ cut the filters apart ] nothing extra in the pleats, i pulled the injecters, some were dry and the rest were wet and had carbon deposits, i'm probably wrong with my terms here but, the pintals or the sharp ends protruding from the injecters are still sharp. I pulled the fuel line loose at the fuel filter and had plenty of fuel at that point.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Sorry, his is an IDI, a '94 model. It was the lift pump, his bill was $425, $125 for towing and $300 for the lift pump, labor, they drained the tanks of the 4 year old fuel.
      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

As an owner of an obs 97 I've found the two main starting issues to be, A)battery power and B)clean oil and the proper amount.
        Batteries need to be fully charged. Oil need to be clean and full including the HPOP.

Comment

OK so here is the bottom line with the problems with the 92 7.3 Diesel not running good. FB71 you are 100% right it was a fuel contamination problem. The station were we normaly buy our fuel, some how got gas mixed in with their Diesel fuel, all is good now, replace the fuel filter, all new fuel lines and inline filters. The truck is back to making money and i'm quite happy the repair bill was a small one. Thanks to your expert advise we were able to fix the problem our selves and keep the cost to a minimum. Thank you
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

you are very welcome. I'm glad I could help you get it back up and running for minimum cost!!
            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
            X