Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTech Pistons

Anyone have any experience with them?

I want to bump up the CR on the B6T before I swap and the forged Wisco for the Miata are all I have heard about.

I see SuperTech and JR make some too.
    Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Did you decide that the Capri ones wouldn't suffice for your power needs, Rodney? Check out the Miata forums... there is a ton of information there on SuperTech... good and bad.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

hey let me know if you find a good deal on super techs, i have been looking for a set as well, belfab had bp listed for 325? but they havent updated there site in years. from the pricing i saw its only about a $40 dollar difference from wiseco/ supertechs, im doing a low budget build, if i can find a good price on some supertechs i will snatch them up, if not i may go wiseco for the additional $40. Only problem i read is someone got a set of high compression domes when he ordered low compression, he was on miataturbo.net

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31291

Did you decide that the Capri ones wouldn't suffice for your power needs, Rodney? Check out the Miata forums... there is a ton of information there on SuperTech... good and bad.
        The 7.9 compression ratio has me bummed a bit. I would like to get to be at least 8.5 and would prefer to not touch the bottom end.

I have read that there is a ton of material that can be taken off the head so I might be able to get a shave and maybe gain a couple points.
        Need to do more research on that though.

Pistons of course are an "easier" fix to bump the CR.
        Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
          hey let me know if you find a good deal on super techs, i have been looking for a set as well, belfab had bp listed for 325? but they havent updated there site in years. from the pricing i saw its only about a $40 dollar difference from wiseco/ supertechs, im doing a low budget build, if i can find a good price on some supertechs i will snatch them up, if not i may go wiseco for the additional $40. Only problem i read is someone got a set of high compression domes when he ordered low compression, he was on miataturbo.net
          Ebay has some for 390.xx a set.
          Rodney

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
            The 7.9 compression ratio has me bummed a bit. I would like to get to be at least 8.5 and would prefer to not touch the bottom end.

I have read that there is a ton of material that can be taken off the head so I might be able to get a shave and maybe gain a couple points.
            Need to do more research on that though.

Pistons of course are an "easier" fix to bump the CR.
            I have had several heads shaved, I think the factory allows like .030" off stock. It only costs me 60.00 to have the head shaved and valve seats ground at a local shop here in town called Hoppers Automotive. Bet you can find a shop like them near you. You will probably also get better gas mileage with a higher ratio too! Shaving the head also gives you a slightly larger squish area in your combustion chamber, which will to increase your V.E. but may be more vulnerable to detonation so run good gas (as you should do anyway with a turbo car).
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Does houston have e85 at the pump? I'd consider new fuel system and gobs of timing to oem pistons and not even do a credit card maxxing build.

Ouch. I had no idea the real b6t had a 7.9. No wonder these DIY builds are running circles around oem setups with all the tweaks.
              Last edited by getnpsi; 07-14-2011, 11:20 PM.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                I have had several heads shaved, I think the factory allows like .030" off stock. It only costs me 60.00 to have the head shaved and valve seats ground at a local shop here in town called Hoppers Automotive. Bet you can find a shop like them near you. You will probably also get better gas mileage with a higher ratio too! Shaving the head also gives you a slightly larger squish area in your combustion chamber, which will to increase your V.E. but may be more vulnerable to detonation so run good gas (as you should do anyway with a turbo car).
                I suppose I will run over to the guy that does head work for me on the SC and see if we can figure where shaving the head will get us.

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                Does houston have e85 at the pump? I'd consider new fuel system and gobs of timing to oem pistons and not even do a credit card maxxing build.

Ouch. I had no idea the real b6t had a 7.9. No wonder these DIY builds are running circles around oem setups with all the tweaks.
                Yeah I am sure there are some stations running E85. Not in my option book though.
                Rodney

Comment

I wouldnt shave a head .030 personally, id go with supertech's or throw in a JDM miata engine!

i dont know how much experience you have with buliding engines, but ive found from experience its a black art.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                    I wouldnt shave a head .030 personally, id go with supertech's or throw in a JDM miata engine!

i dont know how much experience you have with buliding engines, but ive found from experience its a black art.

Yeah I don't think .030 is a good idea either.

And I'm pretty handy.
                    Rodney

Comment

Handy is a good thing, but have you bulit a motor before?

there there is ring clearances, beering clerences, and they are all subjective i know many engine buliders who use different specs for everything diffrent types of applications blah blah blah.

Im just saying this so you dont make the same mistake i did, i built a miata motor with my dad, followed it right by the book and it made less HP than my 230K engine, and ive known lots of mechanics to bulilt motors that have less compression and make less HP than junkyard ones.

Spending 300 bucks on pistons, then rings, then having it bored over for the new pistons, having the rings gaped blah blah blah its alot of $$$ to do it the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                        Handy is a good thing, but have you bulit a motor before?

there there is ring clearances, beering clerences, and they are all subjective i know many engine buliders who use different specs for everything diffrent types of applications blah blah blah.

Im just saying this so you dont make the same mistake i did, i built a miata motor with my dad, followed it right by the book and it made less HP than my 230K engine, and ive known lots of mechanics to bulilt motors that have less compression and make less HP than junkyard ones.

Spending 300 bucks on pistons, then rings, then having it bored over for the new pistons, having the rings gaped blah blah blah its alot of $$$ to do it the right way.
                        Appreciate the concern. Yes I have built a few. I am an old fart.
                        Rodney

Comment

Working...
                        X