No announcement yet.

Will an Aspire head work on a Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will an Aspire head work on a Festiva?

I mean, can I unbolt it from the car at PAP and put it on the Festy I'm working on?

The Festy head needs a cam seal and likely valve seals and I don't know what else, there's a ticking up top.

I just didn't know if the cam cog is the same or not. Are the head bolts torque to yield or are they reusable? (Don't have my Haynes at work.)
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Yes, and everyone reuses the head bolts unless they messed up the 12 point removing some of them. Id grab an odd number of spares.

All b3's that get junked unless its a wreck probably also have upper leaks and valve issues from bad oil not enough oil or overheating. thats what put many of them there so really be careful buying just a head.

Speaking from my personal experience I have never owned or driven a low miles b3 powered festiva or aspire. All bad examples but still alive...barely. I've bought with the purpose of installing a larger engine knowing it will still net better economy than what i am driving. Buying a used head, and a new gasket set with all the trimmings is within 100 bills of a junkyard rate of a whole engine you may not even have to take apart.
    Last edited by getnpsi; 07-22-2011, 04:59 PM.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

If your car is fuel injected it will go right on, cam, rockers and all. Use your original manifolds. If it's carbed you'll have to swap out the cam and rocker arms so the mechanical fuel pump will work.

Comment

You can buy just the seals and the HLA's. There are informative how to's on here to do all of that.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

The problem is the location I have to work on it. I can swap a head faster than I can replace the cam seal and put valve stem seals in it. I may see if Festfull has a spare head to swap. If he'll buy the parts, I'll R&R the head I give back to him.
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Try to buy a head off of a lower mileage car, one that has been crashed! You'll know how fresh the head is just by looking at it unless it's just been cleaned before it's been handed to you.
            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
            X