Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a repair on Baby Car today...with lots of pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a repair on Baby Car today...with lots of pics.

Yeesh.

OK, a jerk in a Titan ran a red light. I slammed on the brakes, and, cutting wheels to the right, jumped the curb. I was thinking if I got hit it wouldn't be a T-bone but a side swipe. He missed me. So that was all good. Rolled into the street and the car was whacky. Got into a parking lot, and found I had yanked the drivers side mount for the sway right out of the sub frame

Now, what am I to do? I don't have a welder.

I got busy. Took a piece of angle iron, and made some square "washers," then primed em to prevent rust...

Cut out a long piece of steel to go on the bottom of the frame, washers went inside the "box."

Eleven inches long if anyone is wondering.

Snatched another mount I had laying around for the last few years, and painted it up as well. Drilled a few holes in it and in the car. Added regular washers to take up gaps.

Had some hardware left over from building my trailer that came in right handy!

Had to cut an access hatch in the front side, behind the bumper cover....

Mocked it up, YEAH! I can use a ruler...

Ended up having to black tape the washers up, mocked it up, the pulled the tape out...

Assembled it all.

Pulled the drivers side axle out a couple months ago and put a new boot on it. Had a badly clicking one in there all this time, too busy to replace it. Got that swapped out.

BTW!

Props to Geneva Dirt! His way of removing just the two bolts that attach the steering knuckle to the strut and rotating the knuckle worked like a charm. Done in like five minutes.

So, the test drive worked out ok, pulls to the right, I figure the alignment is shot out. I shredded a tire nursing it home, but can't find the pic right now. The setup holds solid, and I am to tired to line it up tonight, so will try tomorrow.

Anybody think this will mess with the alignment any?
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

shouldn't affect the alignment, i'd call that a well thought out repair, but i would look into someone welding it up in the near future.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I am buying a welder this week! I just have to learn how to use it ;P

I think I would just weld my fix into place.

Comment

that's what i was thinking too.

as for learning to weld, see Jay, or i can lend a hand durring madness.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Way to go Paul! That's impressive!
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Good solid repair Id say.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Very nice job guys!
              -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                that's what i was thinking too.

as for learning to weld, see Jay, or i can lend a hand durring madness.
                Would you believe my wife is going to teach me? The basics anyway. My father in law has a trailer he had her weld up in her pre teens. Girl is wicked.

Not to say that I won't be hitting you guys up! Thanks for the offer, I will make sure to pick your brain

Thanks for the nod, guys. I figured it would be good, but a second, or twentieth, opinion is always nice

Comment

Just glad your ok Paul.
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                    Just glad your ok Paul.
                    Thanks for pointing that out Greg. We got so caught up in being impressed with Paul's work we forgot the most important thing!

And Paul, your wide, man she's cool! 8)
                    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

quality repair!!
                      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
                      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
                      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                        Just glad your ok Paul.
                        Thanks! I am too!

LOL

Paul, she does rock, that is for sure!

Comment

Nice job on the repair! Glad you're OK, that's the important thing! Ford made thousands of Festivas but God only made one of you!

I agree with FestYboy, I would look to welding it as soon as possible. The fore-and-aft location of the bracket will have an effect on the front wheel caster, which can make it wander on an uneven road and effect the self-centering feel. I would probably have it put up on a rack and have everything lined up before welding, or at least measure everything really well before making it permanent. Are the bolts you used standard or Grade 8?
                          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Your repair won't hurt the alignment, but the curb hit probably did.

The best welders I've ever known are all female.

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                              I would probably have it put up on a rack and have everything lined up before welding, or at least measure everything really well before making it permanent. Are the bolts you used standard or Grade 8?
                              These are standard, but I will be upgrading soon. I hope to buy a welder Thursday, so this weekend should see the upgrades. I had to use what I had at the house.

They should be pretty much spot on, I measure everything six ways from Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X