Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the bolt on the bottom of the manual tranny at the far driver's end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the bolt on the bottom of the manual tranny at the far driver's end?

It has a spring and a ball in there. I'm thinking its a detent? Some PO overtightened it on my red car and broke the outer part off. They epoxied it back on, but it still leaked. I originally thought it was just cracked until I went to fix it. JB Weld didn't work, I used some of that epoxy that you knead like dough. It leaks worse than before. Ideally, I'd get it TIG'd, but......
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

the little 12mm bolt? pics?
    I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

No, it's big, looks like a drain plug (19mm?), but it's not a regular bolt, it looks fully machined. The inside of the shank is drilled out and there is a thick spring inside that holds a ball up in the tranny. It's at the very end of the trans, but doesn't face straight down, it's cocked a little forward.
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

.... Can you show a pic or two?

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
        No, it's big, looks like a drain plug (19mm?), but it's not a regular bolt, it looks fully machined. The inside of the shank is drilled out and there is a thick spring inside that holds a ball up in the tranny. It's at the very end of the trans, but doesn't face straight down, it's cocked a little forward.
        A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Where the red drip is. Like I said, it's at the very end..... and big. (so is the puddle it's leaving, I'll need to change the car's name from Thing 1 to Spot)

2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

It is a detent for one of the shift forks shafts.
            (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

.... Why in the world would they think that was a drain plug, that high up from the bottom of the transmission? Somebody is just NOT paying attention.

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
              Where the red drip is. Like I said, it's at the very end..... and big. (so is the puddle it's leaving, I'll need to change the car's name from Thing 1 to Spot)

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I don't know what they thought it was, I said it looks like a drain plug, sizewise. Someone overtightened it. I assume the only reason to remove it would be to R&R the trans, it has no preset on it, right?

I'm wondering if I can get it all cleaned off, I can just epoxy the whole thing in place, bolt and all.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Hopefully its not a crack that is causing the leak, but epoxy will help that issue lets hope. Never understood why so many people never treated these cars like cars
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Oh, it is. The yellowish looking stuff just above the bolt is the epoxy I tried.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                    X