MPG Run--NA B6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
    You are perhaps confusing me with Nate, the keeper of Skeeter.
    idk tom i have him under the master ascend-er after he scaled the light pole at Fm3

I thought there was a chance you might have shown up today at our mini meet as a surprise lol
    93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
    RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
    RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Here are the results of the "cruise in the corn " trip

Trip up to Des Moines Hwy miles 1st fill up 222 miles 5.5 gals = 40.36 MPG ( steady 70-75 mph )
      Mixed driving around Des Moines A/C on 197 milles 5.6 gals = 35.18 MPG
      Last fill up upon arriving home A/C on 146 miles 3.95 gals = 37 MPG

Total miles 565 used 15.05 gals for average of 37.54 MPG

Two people in car loaded with tools, emergency spare parts, cooler, overnight bag, slight head wind going and slight tail wind returning.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Is your poor gas mileage due to a bigger engine??? 37mpg with mostly hwy is pretty low! (unless you have an automatic....then it would be great, lol)

Comment

Darlo, Fresh is running a B6 and the 37 MPG was with AC on and probably 70 MPH.
          So good numbers in my book!
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yeah that sounds about right for a 1.6l (it is 1.6 yes?). My wifes Echo is 1.5l and she gets about 38 or so on the hwy going 65mph or so (with AC too).......same story ish.....

Pu241, you seem to be doing very well lately with your mpg! You actually have a fill that is better than my best at 51.4mpg! VERY NICE! I assume you have the stock 1.3 and no AC? I wish I had AC except for the decrease in mpg, lol.........

Hey fresh, it would be cool to try running a couple tanks at different systematic speeds to see your optimal mpg. I did that with my 91 Ford Taurus once and this was the result.....

110kmh (70mph) - 24mpg
            100kmh (65mph) - 28mpg
            90kmh (57mph) - 30mpg

I was going to try 80kmh for a tank but my wife would have killed me, haha....... :p

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              Darlo, Fresh is running a B6 and the 37 MPG was with AC on and probably 70 MPH.
              So good numbers in my book!
              Thanks, wow, tough crowd. I theorize the B6 does at well as it does because there is no lagging down on uphills thus no need to press the pedal down like you do with a b3. It should have been a factory option IMO. If there is any trade off in mileage the extra punch is well worth it. Hitting hwy speed at the end of entrance ramps makes it a safer car as well.

Originally posted by Darlo View Post
              Hey fresh, it would be cool to try running a couple tanks at different systematic speeds to see your optimal mpg. I did that with my 91 Ford Taurus once and this was the result.....

110kmh (70mph) - 24mpg
              100kmh (65mph) - 28mpg
              90kmh (57mph) - 30mpg

Yes, my forementioned 1.6L (B6) mileage was at interstate speeds. Ive actually gotten over 50 MPG with a 1.3 cruising at 50 MPH on rural roads. Speed and mileage are inversley related.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                Speed and mileage are inversley related.
                Yeah that sucks hey, lol! But only at higher speeds. Take a look at this graph (your result may vary)

So it is good news until you hit 45-50mph then it is all bad after that! It actually has to do with your gearing and then (at higher speeds) much more to do with wind resistance. Your optimal is usually your lowest speed in your highest gear. (for me I find that to be around 46mph).
                Last edited by Darlo; 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X