MPG for "Other than Festivas"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
    1998 Mustang GT - 4.6 2V, 5spd, 4:10 gears, 70mm FRPP throttle body, Accufab plenum, 99+ PI intake, custom grind Comp Cams (degreed), Steeda underdrive pulleys, gutted cats and Flowmaster cat-back, SCT tune = The OD hasn't worked in a while but on my last trip to Raleigh I checked it with GPS and got in the neighborhood of 22mpg. I was quite happy with this since the GPS said my average (moving) speed was 65mph, but a majority of the interstate driving was done between 75 - 90mph.

And now you see why I drive my Festiva 90% of the time
    4.10's, no OD, gutted cats & Flowmasters...............I bet that makes for a long ride, Huh?
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

MPG est. from the window stickers of a couple of vehicles I own , early 90s.

sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

The onboard computer on our old Vy SS Commodore used to say average 10km/1L , LS1 V8. so that would ruffly be 38mpg.. completely bs imho but it was all highway driving so idk ?

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
          4.10's, no OD, gutted cats & Flowmasters...............I bet that makes for a long ride, Huh?
          Nope, it makes for a short ride! I can make it to Raleigh 45 minutes faster than MapQuest estimates LOL

Actually, It's not bad at all because the pipes go all the way out the back. I ride around most of the time with the radio turned off because I like the sound of the car so much. If it had dumps it would be a different story, those things have a horrible drone and I can't stand to ride in a car that has them.

Getting ready to drop back to 3:73's though. 4:10's are great for 26" drag slicks but they render street tires and first gear pretty much useless. Plus I'll need the longer legs for the upcoming aluminum motor build :evil4:
          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Originally posted by Brayy View Post
            The onboard computer on our old Vy SS Commodore used to say average 10km/1L , LS1 V8. so that would ruffly be 38mpg.. completely bs imho but it was all highway driving so idk ?
            My Boss' Pontiac G8 GT (VE Commodore) has the 6.0L 361hp L76. It gets around 22. On a trip to Dallas last month we managed 24. It drops to 4cyl mode during cruise to improve mileage, but it's very annoying when it does. The drone is nasty and it sounds like Briggs & Stratton with sewer pipe exhaust. Power, however, is not really an issue
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
              I can bump the timing on my 3/4T pickup and gain 3-4 MPG. Even bolting on various intake & exhaust mods on my '04 Mustang and having it custom tuned via email, I still picked up 4 MPG, got improved drivability and picked up ~30 rwhp. I'm sure the last two cases were "detuned" for emissions reasons, but at what point does the decrease in emissions offset the decrease in MPG?
              Do you have to run premium to avoid spark knock when you bump the timing?

Also, a lot of people may not realize this, but when an engine is designed, there are these things called design targets. Manufacturers have standards that they set for themselves. They design an engine to operate a specific way to meet not only the government requirements, but to internal durability standards as well.

For example, The Ford RS200, which was created specifically for Group B in the early 80s. The engine would last exactally 10 hours at full throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTmQdCpnFFo

sorry if I am getting a little off topic.
              I suck at the internet

Comment

03 s10 - 4.3/4l60e/3.43 gears - best 27 average 22
                92 buick roadmaster wagon - tbi 350/700r4 - best 18 (that was running rough too)
                03 Chevy S-10 Extreme-4.3
                92 Ford Festiva GL-to be determined
                92 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon-5.7

Comment

Ok, here goes:

-1992 Chevy Lumina 3.1 4spd auto: 27.5 mpg-average, 31 mpg-best

-1997 Geo Tracker 1.6 3spd auto 4x4: 24 mpg-average, 41 mpg-best

-1985 Chevy Cavalier 2.0 3 spd auto: unknown, no speedo and I drove it like I stole it

-Wifeys 1995 Grand Prix 3.1 4 spd auto: 24 mpg average, 28.5 mpg best

-1993 S-10 Blazer 4wd 18-22 mpgs until the 3-4 clutches burned up, then 8mpgs in 2nd gear only until I got rid of it.

-Mom's 1997 Olds Bravada AWD: 16.5 mpgs all day, every day no matter what.

Just to clarify, that 41 mpg run in the Tracker was my first attempt at hypermiling. I ran dead state highways at 2 am with $7 for gas and about 2 gallons left in the tank to see my then girlfriend (and now wife). I made it from Terre Haute to Bedford and back crawling from stops and praying not to run out of gas.

My Lumina never got under 26 mpgs, even on nights running 90 mph around I-465 or in the winter. I still can't quite figure out why the newer 3.1 in my wife's car doesn't do as well the Lumina did.

I would imagine the Cavalier was somewhere in the upper 20s to mid 30s based on others I've heard about.
                  91 L 5sp "The Silver Bullet" B6, Brake/Susp Swapped Build Thread
                  92 L 5sp "Red" RIP
                  95 Grand Prix SE DD
                  Wife's Stuff:
                  89 L 5sp "Carby Car"
                  97 Aspire auto "Pink Panther"
                  Build Thread

Spring 2013 IndyStiva:
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...eet-April-20th

Comment

My 97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L V8 auto averages 13MPG according to Fuelly. Realistically 13MPG avg in Montana, 11MPG avg in Texas. About 16-18MPG straight highway at 60MPH. Maximum of 20.0 exactly ONCE. My truck has factory optioned oversized tires (speedo compensated) and weighs about 6,000 lbs with me and a dog and all accessories/equipment.

My dad's 09 Pontiac G5 2.2L Ecotec/auto averages about 27MPG according to the computer. I can't get him to actually track his mileage... The mileage tends to drop when I drive it, though. I don't pay for gas in that car
                    ~Austin
                    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                    X