Oil filter suggestions...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil filter suggestions...?

I did a search, but didn't find anything conclusive, this title will be easier to search for at least.

I usually use Motorcraft (made by Purolator) or Wix on my vehicles. I use what size is suggested, but the Festiva filter is small. For the Dodge Shadow, instead of the tiny filter, turns out the longer filter for a Windsor also fits. Does anyone use a bigger filter on their car? I know its not just thread and gasket that have to match, there's a bypass valve inside the filter that ought to be close to the same. I'm not sure that I've ever had to worry, the longest I go is 5000 miles, but I've been using synthetic blend oil. Usually Castrol or Valvoline High Mileage, but Mobile came out with one and I used it on my last oil changes.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

I run either a napa gold oil filter or a Mobil 1
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

I run mostly stock Festiva spec oil filters on both my B3s and B6s. I use mostly Wix, NAPA Gold and just bought a few Pure Ones. I've had no problems to speak of.

Karl

PS: Note, the B6 specs a smaller filter, but I like the simplicity of one size. Unless I get a good sale price, that is.
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

.... For many years this same question keeps popping up. I too have often wondered which filter is the BEST and not just a name brand because it's popular or sounds like it's THE ONE AND ONLY (Sales, Advertizing etc.). Years ago, I think it was Amsoil oil, had an adapter cartridge type that was something of the size of a roll of toilet paper. After so many miles you just replaced the cartridge. This cartridge was supposed to take dirty oil and return it "CLEAN" to the engine. I came very close to trying one of these but decided it was just too expensive and dropped it. Since this was around the time the internet was getting started I couldn't find any info (and even today) that supported it. Without going into a LOT of detail ( about particulates, etc.) my conclusion, on average, is that MOST filters do ABOUT the same job. And that these filters CANNOT do any better than they do WITHOUT a very costly filtering system which would make them unfeasible.

.... Just MY two cents worth.

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

I run amsoil in the cobra and the Harley truck. Just not for my Festiva.

Amsoil IMO is number 1, I just can't spend 70 bucks on every oil change on a 3rd vehicle.
          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

I know I can get the same filter in different brands, Ive seen the oil filter studies. I just want to know if there is a bigger filter, ie more media, so better filtering.

I have a System 1 filter that you can take apart to observe particulates, you clean it and reinstall it. It's for a SBF.
            Last edited by Larry Hampton; 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM.
            1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
            1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
            1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
            1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
            2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
            2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
            2005 Accord - wife's DD
            2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
            2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              I run mostly stock Festiva spec oil filters on both my B3s and B6s. I use mostly Wix, NAPA Gold and just bought a few Pure Ones. I've had no problems to speak of.

Karl

PS: Note, the B6 specs a smaller filter, but I like the simplicity of one size. Unless I get a good sale price, that is.
              +1 on all the above. Don't know why the B6's filter is smaller. Odd. I use the B6 filter on my B6, just because. I doubt that overall filter housing size matters much, esp. if you change it often.

I use Castrol High Mileage oil, but cheap no-name oil would probably do just as well overall....
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I can get Amsoil at "dealer cost" through my uncle - not sure what that is yet, but I'm strongly considering it.

Also wondering about Spark Plugs and Tranny fluid... I've got a 5-speed Manual transmission - is the fluid something I should be concerned with?

Comment

plugs should be of the copper core variety, trans fluid should be changed regularly (but not often) with ATF.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

.... You know, I can't help but to agree with you. Yet, I NEVER changed my 5 speed tranny fluid untill some 476,ooo miles PLUS and even then I didn't think it needed to be changed. Though I am embarrassed to admit this condition because I know better. Maybe you can call it a sixth sense, I don't know or this just testifies to being a well built Festie tranny.ops:

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    plugs should be of the copper core variety, trans fluid should be changed regularly (but not often) with ATF.
                    A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Comment

Once in a while you can score a bulk deal online on purolator yellow grippy filters. RSS on rockauto.com works once in a while...I've been happy with those on other cars. I'm sure you know this already but the mazda oil thread is the same as many hondas so if you don't have one for a festy listed they always will for a honda. 3653 and 7717 i think are fram xref numbers that fit to start with. There are also wide filters with the same o ring diameter that will be the same length but almost have to have more media and capacity.

P.S. look on the overflow shelves at walmart for motorcycle filters covered in dust. Sometimes they are clearance or so old they fall out of system so you can haggle them for a song. They are tough guard/xtreme guard? kind which are made to a much better standard than orange cans, I'd not hesitate to get those for a b3/b6.

The times I'd consider the TP filtering bypass systems would be in something that is a known sludge engine, and/or one that cant get rid of moisture too well...Or a vehicle that is doing some severe mudding that gets junk in there even with the best intake tract precautions.

I have only changed tranny fluid in manuals when I spilled it
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                      X