Auto Trans Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Trans Options?

Wondering if there is another automatic transmission that is a direct bolt-in to the factory 1.3 in the Festiva? The factory 3-speed auto needs to have another gear, or overdrive. It's at around 3500 rpm cruising along at 65 mph, & around 4000 at 75-ish. I'd like to swap it out for another transmission that'll be around 400-500 rpm lower in top gear. Is there anything out there to do so?
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    1995 Mustang Cobra (Turbo)
    1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) white
    1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) teal

400-500 would be impossible without a diesel. Lowering RPMs into the 2000 range would be a little more plausible. Even still, the trans will have to downshift for the littlest hills.

There are other Mazda transmissions out there that might fit like those from the 323/Protege but they're electronically controlled. The auto in the Festiva is entirely mechanical with the addition of an electronic kick down solenoid.

Depends on how much work you want to do. Wire in a new transmission's computer and harness or learn how to drive stick
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by cobra29svt View Post
      I'd like to swap it out for another transmission that'll be around 400-500 rpm lower in top gear. Is there anything out there to do so?
      Crazyrog, I think you might have misread what he wrote. He's not wanting to cruise at 400-500RPM, just have it 400 or 500 lower than what it is now. Certainly doable with an overdrive and a lock-up torque converter. Protege would work in theory, if you had all the supporting electronics. If you were to go that route I'd suggest transplanting the whole engine and wiring harness, just to (hopefully) smooth out electronic problems. However, I know the 4 speed autos are bigger than the festy auto, and thats already a pretty tight squeeze, so it might not physically fit under the hood. Maybe a 1.6 from a 323 with the 4 speed could work/fit though. Or like Rog said, just swap in a stick shift and save even more gas than an OD trans would
      Last edited by htchbck; 08-08-2011, 07:39 AM.
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Best and cheapest route:
        Swap out the rims and go with a taller tire.
        Although I'm not sure you'll reach your goal, it will make a big difference.
        I have a set of 13/60/205 that I run at times on my stock festy automatic.
        And you can definitely tell the rpms drop alot, but on take off, so does the torque.
        No real issues with hills though.
        (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

Originally posted by cobra29svt View Post
          Wondering if there is another automatic transmission that is a direct bolt-in to the factory 1.3 in the Festiva? The factory 3-speed auto needs to have another gear, or overdrive. It's at around 3500 rpm cruising along at 65 mph, & around 4000 at 75-ish. I'd like to swap it out for another transmission that'll be around 400-500 rpm lower in top gear. Is there anything out there to do so?
          you need to search for a first gen 323 hatch or sedan (NOT wagon). those will bolt up and you don't need a TCM for them either.
          now, if you find a stash, send me 2!
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            you need to search for a first gen 323 hatch or sedan (NOT wagon). those will bolt up and you don't need a TCM for them either.
            now, if you find a stash, send me 2!
            Those are the same auto transmissions used in the Festy. They're also in the first gen Tracers.
            -Zack

Comment

^^ some of the 323s actually had a non-electronic AOD trans. I've never seen one I don't think, but I did post some info on them in one of the older threads like this one.
              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                Those are the same auto transmissions used in the Festy. They're also in the first gen Tracers.
                no they're not, the 323 ATX are based off the g seres (phisicaly larger) and the hatch and sedan were AOD versions.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  no they're not, the 323 ATX are based off the g seres (phisicaly larger) and the hatch and sedan were AOD versions.
                  SOME 323's apparently had a hydraulic 4 speed.... EVERY 323 ATX I've seen in person is the same F3A we got...
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Run 155/80's or 175/70's. It'll drop it enough to be tolerable. I think I run 3500 at 70 but can't remember exact usual run 65mph.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Whoa whoa whoa... sorry! Good info.

Being a G series and an Automatic might still make it too big for our engine compartments.
                      -Zack

Comment

Originally posted by crazyrog17 View Post
                        Whoa whoa whoa... sorry! Good info.

Being a G series and an Automatic might still make it too big for our engine compartments.
                        nope. they fit. G4A-HL
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

If they fit so well how come I know of only one in existence and its not even a documented swap?
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

because they're impossible to find. Been looking for one for 3 years.
                            Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                            Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Exactly, they only came in CERTAIN 323's.... not all of them. My guess is only 1989, maybe even towards the end of 1989's production.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X