had to break down & fix it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• had to break down & fix it

I have a 94 aspire 4 dr., 5 sp., w/ac with about 240k on it (estimate due to gauge swap) and the front end was "loose" which made it a challenge to drive. you run the risk of getting stopped for suspicion of dui.

well I had the whole front end rebuilt (no ps so I didn't need the rack) with new control arms, inner tie rod ends, etc. 4 pieces on each side along with new monroe sensatrac struts, tie rod boots, sway bar bushings, rotors, and pads and since they were that far into it I had them replace the clutch and put in a new flywheel, tune it up and install a new fuel filter. parts were a tad over $500 and labor was $517.

I shopped around for the parts and bought everything but the struts on ebay. the whole front end kit was $99 delivered! the clutch and flywheel were $117. considering advance auto wanted $175 for the clutch alone (same name brand too) and they didn't have all the front end parts available and the ones they did have went well over the $99 I'd say I did ok.

main thing is it now drives, rides, and stops like a new car. since I drive it 500 miles a week I'd say it was a good investment since it gets 35mpg city. one of the guys at the shop couldn't believe someone would put that in the car but I told him if he could show me a car that would get the same mpg and didn't need any work for $1100 to let me know. he says 1100 will buy a lot of gas for a 20mpg car and I said if you do the math the 15mpg dif. will pay for the repairs in 6 months with the miles I drive. I crunched the #'s when I got home and it would take 31 weeks or 7 months one week. so while technically I was wrong about the 6 months I feel good about a 7 month recoup on my expense. I haven't spent any money on it to speak of for almost 3 years (transmission replaced and I bought it for $350 and me and a friend put it in)

I've only had the car for 5 years and besides general maintenance thats all I've done to it so I'm a very happy camper.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Good story. It's always a good feeling having brand new parts put in. I still cant get over the feeling of a tune up with four brand new tyres :toothy5:
    93 Ford Festiva WA (project car)
    98 Ford Festiva WF (aspire)(parts car)
    98 "Gloria" Toyota Corolla AE101 (daily driver)

Comment

Working...
    X