Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheel challenge

Think you can figure this one out?

Installed new bearings in left rear wheel today. Did right side a couple days ago no problem. Backed car up & down driveway twice to "seat" bearings, then grabbed top of tire and shook to test for looseness. None felt. Drove around block and tested for looseness again. No sign. Changed out of work clothes and took car out to buy a few things. Part way to store pulled over to check for looseness and heat. Hub felt cool but when I shook the tire there was a knock in the wheel. It sounded really loose like it was ready to come off. Did a U=turn and drove right home. Got into work clothes again, jacked up car, removed dust cover and retightened axle nut. Felt good. Passed driveway test. Drove around neighbourhood a bit. Pulled over and shook wheel. Darn knocking was there again. Drove home, jacked up car, removed drum and took it inside to remove bearings and hammer on cups some more to make sure they were in tight. Drum back on car, felt good. Passed driveway test. Got dressed to go shopping again. Pulled over to check for heat and looseness. Darned knocking there again. This time stuck a finger through one of the cutouts in the rim to feel the gap between drum and backplate as I shook tire. No play there. So it wasn't the bearings. U-turn and home again. Back into work clothes. Up on jack stands. Pushed an pulled on everything I could think of under the rear end but no knock. Finally figured it out.

Can anyone say what it was? I'll post the answer tomorrow.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Play in the strut, inside where the housing and shaft ride.
    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

^^x2
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Loose lug nuts . Been there before !!
        New build on the way .

Comment

Loose brake backing plate/spindle assembly on the rear axle arm?

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Rubber "absorber between the top hat and the spring was shot causing the spring to raddle?

<edit> OR it could be wat i did when i put the stock festy spring back on and left a pair of vise grips attatched to the strut.

Comment

The knock only occured when the parking brake was engaged. When I pulled over I put on the parking brake. When I jacked up the car to spin the wheel I released the parking brake. I figure it was the lever behind the backing plate where it pivots on the clevis pin.

It wasn't the strut or axle. I was able to push and pull on them whith the car jacked up, repositioning the jack stands to allow different parts to be tested.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I always test my rear wheel bearing runout with the e-brake off.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                X