New to me 88 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 88 Festiva

Just got a 88 festiva LX. I travel a lot for my job and was wondering, 167,000 miles and I don't know if it has ever had a tming belt. How often do these things break? Should I drive it from Va to Michigan? This is really a great car and it runs great. I own a Super Duty and have been driving that since 2008. Can't wait to get some good millage. Let me know what you all think.

Welcome and post some pics. Also add your location to your profile. The belt is not a problem usually...if it does go our cars are non-interference so nothing gets hurt. You just need to re-install and you are good to go. If you are going to change it you may want to do the water pump and seals at the same time. Then you will be really good to go. You may check it but I would not necessarily replace just because.

The addiction has begun.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Congrats on the purchase. Is it a five speed ? Super Duty Vs festiva... I think you'll be putting some money in the bank. Old festivas usually need things but it will be a good investment. Good luck, post some pics when you can, we love pics. Welcome to the forum !!
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Try to find out about the TB from the previous owner (good luck).

Comment

Welcome to the site. Where in Va are ya?
          2005 Cadillac CTS-V
          1995 Mustang Cobra (Turbo)
          1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) white
          1993 Ford Festiva (Auto) teal

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll get some pics tomorrow. It is a 5 speed. I've read all of you all's post on the sloppy shifter. I need to fix that. A couple small dents and a peice of cloth on the drivers door panel are about all thats wrong. It could use a new drivers seat, it's tore from the shoulder slinding in and out. I'm in Gladys Va. Had'nt got to put all my info in the profile yet.

Comment

If you are up to doing the work yourself I would go ahead and change the belt. Its not much, like $20 and you can change it in about 2 hours. I can change one in less than an hour now that I've done it a few times. The manual says to change it every 60k miles. I change mine about every 70k miles.
              As far as gas milege, you should be able to get close to 45mpg. I get 40mpg with an 88 L with a 4 speed.
              Things you will want to grab if you go to any junk yards for parts as 88/89 Festives have a few things that are diffrent than 90 - 93.
              -Turnsignal switch - this has the turnsignal, lights and windsheild washer all in one unit.
              -Distributor
              -Altinator
              ~Jeff
              1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
              1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
              2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

I will get all that I can. I've got a old guy down the road that has been stripping these car when they were wrecked for years. I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on a A/C setup also. I'm pretty good with wrenches so changing the belt should'nt be too bad. I'm just glad to see the post above that these engines won't bend all the Intake valves if it breaks. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I would say with a 5-speed you must have found a deal on an LX or someone has already swapped the transmission. Welcome to the site and Maybe you can make it to FMV next month in Raliegh, NC. Check the meet threads for details.
                  91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                  82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                  85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I felt it was a good deal. I got it for $600.00. I've been playing with the timing a little trying to get a little more out of it in 5th gear on the hills. Also got some new speakers for it because the others were in pretty bad shape. I got some pics but gotta figure out how to post now.

Comment

start a photobucket account , upload the pictures then copy and paste the img links here..

Comment

I'll give it a try. I got the pics in my Album.

Comment

See if this works.

Comment

very nice! its working...

Comment

Here is one of the interior.

Comment

Working...
                              X