Mazda's Skyactiv-G 1.3 Gets 70mpg, No Hybrid Tech Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda's Skyactiv-G 1.3 Gets 70mpg, No Hybrid Tech Needed

The 2011 Mazda2 is already one of the most fun small cars on the market, sharing its platform with Ford's Fiesta. It's pretty economical too, but with Mazda's next generation of gasoline engine, it'll become very efficient indeed. The 1.3-liter Skyactiv-G unit soon to be found in the Mazda2 gets 30 kilometers per liter on Japan's 10-15 mode test cycle...
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Swaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Is that the intake on the front?
      89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
      My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
        Is that the intake on the front?
        Hope so, looks plastic.

"Not likely to hit US Markets"

Thank goodness they're giving us a 2.0L in a larger car so we can still hover around the 40MPG range.
        -Donny
        -1992 Festiva GL
        B6D/E-series.
        -1991 GL
        BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

what a sweet lil motor and perfect for the festiva! I want one just send me the longblock ill make my own harness
          93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
          RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
          RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Haha... It would be cool if that ended up in the Mazda 2 or Fiesta
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

this is why I hate the psuedo-journalism of green propaganda... "No hybrid technology needed!", but the article clearly states "stop-start feature" which IS a hybrid technology. I've been following Mazda's SkyActive products for almost two years now, and from the start, Mazda has stated that SkyActive will utilize "low cost hybrid technologies". Not that any of this is good OR bad, just that whoever wrote the article apparently hasn't got a clue... And yes, we are unlikely to get the 1.3L immediately, but there is a 1.7L SkyActive that is slated for the Fiesta.
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I love watching you think Jim! 8)
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                  this is why I hate the psuedo-journalism of green propaganda... "No hybrid technology needed!", but the article clearly states "stop-start feature" which IS a hybrid technology. I've been following Mazda's SkyActive products for almost two years now, and from the start, Mazda has stated that SkyActive will utilize "low cost hybrid technologies". Not that any of this is good OR bad, just that whoever wrote the article apparently hasn't got a clue... And yes, we are unlikely to get the 1.3L immediately, but there is a 1.7L SkyActive that is slated for the Fiesta.
                  I don't understand how Mazda's "i-stop" is hybrid technology. It just injects fuel into the proper cylinder and ignites it, starting the engine. No batteries/nonsense involved.
                  BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

Sometimes they replace the alternator with a motor/generator to start and stop the engine more seamlessly. Any way that's integrated?
                    -Zack
                    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Sky motors are coming to Canada!

-Scott
                      Aqua 93 L
                      Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                      White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmc View Post
                        I don't understand how Mazda's "i-stop" is hybrid technology. It just injects fuel into the proper cylinder and ignites it, starting the engine. No batteries/nonsense involved.
                        that's a DIRECT copy of an older VW/Audi concept during the Polo 3L development, which incorporated the motor/generator stop-start technology, along with the spark ignition start. i-Stop does not use a conventional starter, therefore it is not conventional technology. It stems from hybrid technology. So i-Stop is a hybrid originated system. However, I do see your point... it is NOT a hybrid vehicle, but DOES use hybrid technology.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Incedentally, Ford experimented heavily in the mid 70's with ignition-start systems, based on the DuraSpark system. The biggest problem they faced (and never overcame) was forcing the engine to stop at or near TDC on a compression stroke.
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Figures US market won't get it Made me want to puke looking at average MPG on cars when girl was looking for a new car.
                            Send An Invite If Ya Want

1991 Ford Festiva GL- Auto

Comment

it looks relatively small.. But very high.. i would rep the top of that motor out of my hood any day tho. WANT WANT WANT.

Comment

Working...
                              X