Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires and wheels? (Sorry ahead of time :))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires and wheels? (Sorry ahead of time :))

Hey guys I just bought my first 88 4 speed festiva, it has the 12 inch rims (Never seen them before!) but the tires are pretty much shot and have bubbles on most. I wonder why these smaller tires always seem to get bubbles? Anyway, I have a 96 metro that is rusted out with 4 VW 13" rims, is the bolt pattern the same as my 88 festiva? I have priced replacing the 4 12" tires at ~$200..which seems very expensive to me for these tiny tires.

Also, will I lose a lot of MPG with the 13"s? I plan on doing 90% highway, also what is the best MPG and cheapest 13" tire from walmart or a place like that; most common size?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by dusty; 09-12-2011, 09:22 AM.

As far as losing MPGs, you will if you do a lot of stop and go. The highway shouldn't be too much of a problem keeping at the same speed. It's just harder to accelerate the extra weight of 13" rims and tires and it's very noticeable in an auto.

Check tirerack.com and the like. A lot of places have decent deals on 13" tires because they're pretty much being phased out like our 12"s were. A common size is 175/70R13. You can find some that are the exact same diameter/circumference as a stock 155/70R12 or 145/80R12 by using a tire size calculator like this one http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and even find out how 'off' your speedometer/odometer will be.

I might add that you may get slightly better fuel economy if you do the calculations right. The larger diameter of a 175/70R13 would improve 'gearing' at speed. That's especially helpful with a 4 speed transmission like yours.
    Last edited by crazyrog17; 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thank you Zack, it's too bad they are phasing out the 12" tires like that. Pretty unique little things! Will check out that size you mentioned; cost is unfortunately a factor.

Comment

I'm using 13" metro steelies, they bolt right on. Honestly I never noticed a difference, but that was with a 5 speed manual. Speedometer is correct and everything.
        BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

I am using Mazda 323 steelies with el cheapo Wallyworld 155-80R13s. They maybe would like to phase out 13 inch tires, but there were a lot of cars sold with that size tire. So they will be around for some time. Whereas there were very few cars sold with 12 inch tires in the USA. Low end Hyundai steelies fit too. Like off an old Pony or something.

Hey 12 inch tires were ok when Wallyworld kept them in stock and sold them for $25 a pop few years back. They only lasted like 10k miles but who cared at that price. Now 12 inch are special order and crazy priced. If they still only lasted 10k, it would suck big time.

Comment

Welcome, Dusty! Where ya from?
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
            X