Looking for swap advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for swap advice

Ok i have a 1.3L in my 93 festiva, and i wanna go with the DOHC conversion, but i dont what are all the components i need for the DOHC upgrade. But im gonna go through my list, and hopefully anyone can help me if im missing anything... 2.0 DOHC pcm, the 2 cams from the mx3 2.0motor, the intake manifold, valve cover gasket, new injectors and spark plugs from the 2.0, and probably a couple of sensors too, but yea if anyone knows what i should do, feel free to voice ur opinions and ideas if i should just go with the mx3's 1.8 v6 motor
    WINNING! :laughing4:

First off, you might want to put your location under "User CP" so we know where you are, literally, "coming from." Some of our members are overseas, for example.

Second, what 2.0 motor? If you are talking FE, that would be a more difficult swap. If you have to ask around here (other than if any of us have done it), you probably should not be attempting a more difficult swap.

What year and model of Festiva do you have? Auto or manual, FI or carbed? Makes a difference, sometimes a big one.

Common swaps are:

Another B3 from a Festiva
    Aspire 1.3 (very slight differences)
    B6 (generally the easiest--I've done two)
    B8 (almost as easy as a B6)
    BP (a little more advanced, as it requires custom mounts and more wiring changes)

There are also the B6 DE and B6 ME swaps, as well as adapting a Miata B6 to fit into a FWD format. Then it gets harder still...the sky's the limit, as long as you have skills, time, tools and money...

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-18-2011, 03:00 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Hello. The FE3N engine is the only 2.0 engine that anyone's been talking about. The BP DOHC is easier than the FE3N because it bolts to the stock trans and requires four minor mods. 1-Shave the BP motor mount to fit inside the Festiva motor mount bracket. 2-Cut a short section of angle iron to match the BP engine-side mount to the mount in the bracket. 3-Replace the B3 ECU with the BP ECU, reconnect, and wire up the VICS and dist. With your own wires. 4-Cut, box, and weld a notch in the passenger side frame that the lower pulley of the motor sits beside, to make the engine serviceable. As far as I know, the only cam swap is the 'exhintake' swap that switches the two cams on the DOHC motors, but they need alterations to work. Good luck.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

351 modified..imo
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
        X