Source of leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of leak?

So it rained like crazy today and when I got into the car and looked in the passenger floorboard it was full, and I mean full, of water. The puddle was actually over the carpet! It was in the front and rear floorboard passenger side only. Any common areas to look where festivas might leak? I have a fun top but I know it's not coming from up there as the headliner wasn't wet and there were no traces of where the water could have leaked/run down. Any ideas of where it could be coming in?
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

I would check around the door seal and make sure nothing has pulled away from the body of the car
    Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

Originally posted by walth View Post
      I would check around the door seal and make sure nothing has pulled away from the body of the car
      Talking about the rubber seal around the door? I'll definitely check it out. I'm just wondering how so much water could come in so fast! I used the shop vac. and filled it half way. I also tore the carpet backing pads off the front and back and took them out to let them drip dry
      "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Make sure your window is up.
        Ford Fester

Comment

Might be leaking through the Funtop. I know logan mentioned it leaked on him. Could be running along the headliner and down the window pillar trim.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Ford Fester View Post
            Make sure your window is up.
            They were definitely up

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
            Might be leaking through the Funtop. I know logan mentioned it leaked on him. Could be running along the headliner and down the window pillar trim.
            Nah...headliner isn't wet anywhere that I can see/feel. I also don't currently have any of my pillar trim installed on that side so I know it wasn't running down there anywhere

Comment

Check your tail light gaskets. I had the same problem. My were both toast.
              Did the mousepad gaskets on both sides. No more wet carpet:p Also replaced the hatch seal since you could swim in the spare tire compartment.

Comment

Originally posted by seattlestiva View Post
                Check your tail light gaskets. I had the same problem. My were both toast.
                Did the mousepad gaskets on both sides. No more wet carpet:p Also replaced the hatch seal since you could swim in the spare tire compartment.
                Checked that, but I've got newish mousepad gaskets myself. I still have a tiny bit of water that seems to come in back there though. Hatch seal seems good as the entire rear hatch area is dry. The water was confined solely to the front and rear passenger side floor boards. Doesn't seem like it's coming in from the front/engine area either as the upper part of the carpet wasn't wet. That's really making me think it's gotta be the door seal

Comment

one of my cars leaks from the passenger rear window seal.... runs down the B pillar and soaks the pass floor.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    one of my cars leaks from the passenger rear window seal.... runs down the B pillar and soaks the pass floor.
                    Gotta be either the passenger door seal or that window seal then! I'll check them both out. If I can't find it before madness then I'll just wait til afterwards, strip all the interior out of the car and just lay the waterhose on top of the car and watch for it to come in!

Comment

I found this thread and it seems to be the same problem I've had on my son's '89. It has driven us crazy for years, and recently got much worse. Window, hatch and taillight seals didn't solve much. I thought the windshield seal might be the problem and put silicone around the bottom edge. That seemed to help, but nothing really stopped it completely until I finally resorted to silicone sealing the last possibility - the roof seam. So far as I can tell, the car was never wrecked and has a really nice body since it spent most of its life in AL, but running blue RTV into the grooves beside the black track has stopped it! If this problem fits you, try it! As with the OP, our leak was the passenger side too.

Comment

windshield ? put a towel above the sunvisor during next downpour & check it afterwards, thats where i found mine leaking on my work truck. heater core is not leaking is it? any antifreeze in that carpet?
                        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                          windshield ? put a towel above the sunvisor during next downpour & check it afterwards, thats where i found mine leaking on my work truck. heater core is not leaking is it? any antifreeze in that carpet?
                          It never did it again after that one time. I think the passenger window had been left down a hair!

Comment

Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Pretty much why I hate giving people a ride:nono: They roll the window down and when they go to roll it back up they don't roll it all the way up.

Comment

Working...
                              X