Quick question, what's this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question, what's this?

Put a few gallons of fuel in my now-running '90 Festiva (recently put on tank, didn't notice this part).

Bottom right of picture of tank, the little metal tube coming off it:

It's now leaking, originally thought it was a vent. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and would it be safe to plug it with something? Or where does it hook up?

Need it to not be leaking for when I take it to the mechanic on Thursday morning. So need to fix it ASAP.

~Spike
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Just climbed under mine but couldn't find anything to help sorry. Is yours a different shape on the other side? Mine is definitely smaller unless your other side takes a corner out for the exhaust to run by. I'm in Australia so not sure if it's a different part or not. Free bump if nothing else
    Last edited by Click_It; 09-28-2011, 12:12 AM.
    200,000KM milestone!

Comment

Yeah, the other side it cut differently for the exhaust to pass by.

Mine is an EFI, not sure what you have.. that might be the difference.

Hmm.

~Spike
      1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Ahh okay, carb here. 1993 model but our festy's never got EFI so its much the same as your 88-90 cars.
        200,000KM milestone!

Comment

That tube coming out of your tank and curving downwards is the fuel vapor line. It is supposed to be connected to one of three fuel lines going to your engine compartment.

IIRC, fuel and fuel return lines are 5/16" diameter and the vapor line is 1/4" diameter. I'll see if I have those numbers in my build thread:

Yep. Pics in posts #14 and #16. No direct pics of the actual hookup you need to do though. In post #16 the second and third pics down show my vapor line still unconnected. Also, that was the way I routed the new lines and not necessarily how yours will look. I did mine a bit differently for ease of build. (So far I haven't blown or burned up yet.)

I don't think the vapor line needs to be rated for FI. It just recovers vapors from the tank and/or the canister under the hood.

FYI, brake lines are 3/16" so don't get those mixed up with the fuel lines.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 09-28-2011, 03:44 PM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thank you, Safety, for all your help.

Ended up we forgot to clamp a hose right above it, made me think the little line was leaking (but now I atleast know it needs to be connected to something).

Ahh, well. It's at the mechanic now, finally able to get it a once-over.

Lots of clunking and groaning in the wheels, I figure there's a lot to repair.

One piece at a time.

~Spike
            1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Working...
            X