Festy timing belt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festy timing belt replacement

I completed my very first timing belt renewal today after the poor car experienced a premature belt failure on the highway yesterday. The Haynes manual suggests to remove the starter in order to jam the flywheel with a screwdriver or bar in order to loosen the crankshaft pulley nut. There isn't a lot of convenient access down there. I just happened to have access to a buddy's air impact gun ( I gotta get me one of those!) so rather than jam the flywheel I was coached merely to undo the passenger side motor mount and drop the engine down far enough (2-3 inches via bottle jack support) to give clear sight for an extension with 21 mm impact socket. Worked like a charm!

Congratulations! ! Good job.

sent from my EVO hacked with Vaelpak GB AOSP with Tiamat 3.3.7 Kernel
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

There is about 2 inches of clearance between the crankshaft nut and the sheetmetal of the car, which makes it awkward to get at with anything but a wrench. I can't imagine the joy of working on a B8 in the same location and likely nestled right up tight to the body. The car body is double wall sheet metal at that location otherwise I would have no problem with making a socket access hole through the inner fender via bi-metal hole saw (just like making a 2 1/8 lockset hole through a steel house door). Somebody on this site says they can replace a timing belt in an hour; obviously I have quite a ways to go to match that. But I did grease all the nuts and bolts this time and lightly sand the pulley contact points.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        Somebody on this site says they can replace a timing belt in an hour
        Maybe they are part of a NASCAR pit crew

First time owner
        89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
        Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

I just replace one in 15 minutes... so what if the engine was out of the car... LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
            Maybe they are part of a NASCAR pit crew

I could do it in an hour. But my engine doesn't require removing the crank sprocket.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
            X