Talk to me about Galants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Galants

Looks like either this evening or tomorrow morning I'll be picking up a 1990 Mistubishi Galant. I know little about Mitsus but from what I can gather from the net it is probably a 4g63 either SOHC or DOHC, and it could actually be AWD (if its VR4). I'm guessing its probably a base model since its really cheap. The lady says it doesn't run, and thats all I've gotten from her so far lol. But for the price I'm snatching it up before a scrapper gets it because, drumroll please... it has a TITLE! Lol. So we'll see. Assuming its a 4g63, shouldn't a Eclipse/Talon/Laser motor fit it? I know a yard nearby that has a couple running wrecked, if it does indeed need a new engine. Hopefully she will call me in the next few mins and I can go after it, if not, I'll be headed up there in the morning.

So, any input from anyone with Mitsu knowledge would be helpful. And I appreciate the fact that I can probably do some kind of swap or something, but I'm really just trying to save it from being crunched, put it back on the road in stock form, and either let my wife have it (if its an auto) or flip it for a few bucks.
    No festiva for me ATM...

If it's a base model, then the engine is an 8 valve, 102 HP 2.0L

Yes, the 4G63 DOHC 2.0 will fit. So won't a 4G64 (2.4 liter version)

A hot combo is to put the DOHC 4G63 head onto a 4G64 (most 64s are SOHC).

Is it an auto or 5 speed?

It's not the most common problem, but if it's an auto, watch those drive plate to torque converter bolts. They are known for loosening and falling out (when it happens, you'll know). The drive plate is also known to crack (you'll know when that happens too). All it is is a 1/8" thick plate. not your average flex plate (the ring gear for the starter is on the converter).

I doubt it's a VR4. I believe the first year for those was 1991.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

VR-4's were only imported in 91 and 92. But its an easy swap to put in a 4g63t in a base galant shell.

Comment

Well, thanks for the input... deal fell through, I had talked to the lady and was wanting to get it this morning, but her phone kept breaking up yesterday. She said she'd call me back from a landline when she got home. About a half hour later got a call. It was her husband. He said "My wife said you talked to her about the Galant?" I said "Yeah, I'd like to come get it tonight or first thing in the morning". He said "Ok, but the price has changed." I'm thinking hmmm... Then he says they want triple the original asking price. I said "Thanks, have a nice day" and hung up. What the crap is that all about?
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
        X