Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the weak point in Festy 5 speed tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the weak point in Festy 5 speed tranny?

When the stock 5 speed tranny breaks, what breaks in it first? Does anyone know
    how much power the stock axles can handle? Thanks!
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

usually the spider gears give up "first" because of wheel hop and excessive one wheel wonders. this will crack or split the case. after that, a failed input shaft bearing can cause the upper lay shaft to apply too much pressure the the case and bearings and thus split the case.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

From what it looks like these transmissions are pretty durable. The Auto's are stronger. The manuals can take quite a bit if treated well. I know for myself and several others we have run/running a stock E series with a BP.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

The 5 speed in my Silver Bullet actually had the input shaft bearing go out at 385,000 miles. The spiders and synchros were all still going strong.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
        88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
        88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
        06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

i'm figuring he's of the "more POWER!!!" mentality, so went from that perspective.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I haven't read about members breaking axles like on other cars, its internal problems from wheel hop and shock as stated above.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Thanks for replies.
              1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
              1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
              1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
              1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
              1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
              1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
              1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

I'm convinced if people were somehow MADE to change their axle seals at 80,000 miles, the atf would have stayed in many more of them that have subsequently been destroyed! These E series transaxles can/would go 250,000 miles easily.
                As far as more power against them goes, try imagining doubling your wife or girl friend's power output, seriously...how would YOU hold up against that!? ha, ha, ha
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                X