Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow tire selection: Opinions, experiences, etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stopped at Sears today to get a quote on a set of snows. The guy in there said he had never sold any 175/70-13s. Then he looked up "snows" but they all turned out to be all seasons. It was like he didn't hear me or simply disregarded my "dedicated snow tire" inquiry.

At any rate, IF he could order the Winterforces, he quoted me around $325 out the door.

Hmmpff.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Heck Karl.... I just looked on Tire Rack. 4 Winterforce, studded run you 322.00 shipped. A set of the Conti Extreme Winter Contacts are 280.00 shipped, and are a superior tire.
      These are 175/70/13.
      Michael
      Have owned 9 so far
      White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
      Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
      Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
      Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
      Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

My 85 year old father was totally opposed to his kids putting "snow tires" on his Festiva, as a Christmas present, 5 years ago. I put them on anyway (front tires only) and (despite his strong and vocal suggestions that this was an entirely futile gesture) he did switch his other cars over a year later and commissioned me specifically to find snows for his new Toyota Echo not long after. The technology is good and those tires do work. Spin your tires while stuck in an icy parking lot or on an upslope entrance to a bridge in cold country like Canada (I live in balmy Ottawa but also have buddies in Yellowknife, NWT) and don't expect much sympathy from volunteer pushers once they see the non-suited tires that are on the car. Been there, done that.

Comment

Well Michael, I was pricing the Contis at Tire Rack but when I tried the shipping quote, they now have fewer than three.

Contis would have been $58 each, while the Generals I'm probably getting are now down to $48 each at Tires-easy. All four shipped would be $220. Plus I'm ordering an extra Falken 912 in 175/60-13 that I couldn't get before because they had run out. They are running their periodic 5% off now.

So it looks like I'm ordering the Generals tomorrow. Call me cheap!

Karl

Comment

Any snowtires are better than none. In Canada the 'real' thing is identified by a snowflake emblem cast into the sidewall. How much money this cost taxpayers, for a gov't agency to define and identify, is beyond me but their criterion for use seems to have been good.

Comment

http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires/...ash=46d2a2490f 2 of these came with my car when I got it, I'll leave 'em in the car if there is threat of snow and because tire changes are so quick on these cars, I'll throw 'em on if the snow gets ugly, but since we get more rain than snow/ice, I'll keep the normal all-seasons on. If I get to take the festy up to the pass for skiing I'll pu them on.
              Owner of:
              1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
              In progress:
              BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

I just ordered the four General Altimaxes.

Also getting two Falken 175/60-13s to add to my first four (in case of bad tire, etc.)

Now I just need to finish painting my Estrellas so I can run the Falkens for a month or so, then remount the snows on my VW wheels.

Thanks all! An article I read said we're supposed to be having a bad winter with lotsa snow. I'll let ya'll know how my Generals do later.

Karl

Comment

Falkens? Where did you find those at? It has been a cople of years since I have seen any offered in 175/60
                  Have owned 9 so far
                  White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
                  Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
                  Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
                  Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
                  Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                    I just ordered the four General Altimaxes.

Also getting two Falken 175/60-13s to add to my first four (in case of bad tire, etc.)

Now I just need to finish painting my Estrellas so I can run the Falkens for a month or so, then remount the snows on my VW wheels.

Thanks all! An article I read said we're supposed to be having a bad winter with lotsa snow. I'll let ya'll know how my Generals do later.

Karl
                    Keep us posted on how you like to Altimax tires. I have a set of all-season 185/60/14 altimax tires and they work well until it rains. Curious to find out the performance of the winter version
                    Last edited by timmay89; 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM.

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
                    -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Will do Timmay.

Michael, go to the Suspension and handling forum and look for my old post on the Falkens there. I recently added to it. It explains everything.

Short answer: Tires-easy has 'em. Not the 512s, but the newer 912s. Now, for $66.41 each after the 5% off. Special ends October 28th. Says 17 left in stock.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                      X