questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions

A few random questions. I didn't really find clear answers on here but if I'm wrong just tell me to search more.

1) what gets better gas mileage a carbed festy, efi festy, or an aspire?

2) same cars as above what gets better performance before or after upgrades
    < Teaching myself about cars with a Festiva >
    << So I'm here looking for help and support >>

EFI festiva seems to get the best mileage in stock form since its lighter than an Aspire. Also, a 5 speed will get a lot better mileage than an auto.

I would say before upgardes, the EFI festiva performs the best, again, since its lighter. Aspire suspension does feel a little more solid than festiva though in stock form.

Plus, the EFI festiva is the easiest to upgrade with other Mazda motors as well. I'm a big fan of the EFI festiva, if you can't tell. We love our carbie too though, and I've been enjoying my '93 EFI festiva with the Aspire motor in it today. Aspire motor I think is a little better because of the roller valve train vs the rocker valve train on festivas. But again, the Aspire is heavier, so in terms of stock performance the extra weight cancels out any marginal gains that might or might not result from the roller head. Aspire suspension does feel a little more solid than festiva though in stock form.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

a proper working carb can get as good or better MPG than an EFI of the same milage... but EFIs are easier to mod for a beginner.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm hoping it can About to rebuild the carb in Babystiva this weekend. I was just speaking from personal experience with my carb vs EFI cars. Forgot to mention also that some folks love the one year only '89 EFI auto system, with the EFI and vac advanced dizzy. But it only came in auto. Might be fun to swap a five speed into it though
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I was unaware that there was a 89 efi. If i remember correctly some of the 90's were carbed and others were efi, maybe i'm incorrect.

So really either way they will get the same gas mileage if everything is running proper?

Am i correct in assuming that an efi would be overall more reliable?

Oh and a question i forgot, what are the folks with engine swaps getting gas mileage wise. the b6 b8 and bp swaps are they all around 30 mpg or such?

Comment

My B6 was doing close to B3 numbers (around 40 most of the time). The BP was a good bit lower, in the low 30s most of the time because I drove it hard
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Tech View Post
              I was unaware that there was a 89 efi. If i remember correctly some of the 90's were carbed and others were efi, maybe i'm incorrect.
              88- all carb'd
              89- all manuals carb'd, some auto's EFI
              90-93- all EFI

So really either way they will get the same gas mileage if everything is running proper?
              Yes, basically.

Am i correct in assuming that an efi would be overall more reliable?
              If properly maintained, there's less to go wrong with a carb, but they can both be reliable.

Oh and a question i forgot, what are the folks with engine swaps getting gas mileage wise. the b6 b8 and bp swaps are they all around 30 mpg or such?
              B6 can be as good as a B3 but has more power. B6T will get you in the 30's if driven right.
              B8 and BP can get 42-45 if you keep your foot off it.
              1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
              Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
              daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
              A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                88- all carb'd all straight shift
                89- all manuals carb'd, some auto's EFI
                90-93- all EFI
                No, ALL '89 autos were carbed, at least here (I think aussie got carbs a lot longer than we did)
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  No, ALL '89 autos were carbed, at least here (I think aussie got carbs a lot longer than we did)
                  Not true bro. My 89 was auto and EFI. Its now 5 speed EFI.
                  89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
                  My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Comment

If the b8 can seriously get around 40 or higher when I'm easy on it, and get power when I'm hard on it then I may just have to swap my build to a b8 swap
                    Last edited by Zombie Tech; 10-26-2011, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                      All '89 autos were EFI, but a one-year only system; fuel control only, no spark control. 90-93added spark advance control to the system.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by Zombie Tech View Post
                        If the b8 can seriously get around 40 or higher when I'm easy on it, and get power when I'm hard on it then I may just have to swap my build to a b8 swap
                        you won't get 40mpg out of a B8 regularly. I have a B6 (with head work and a cam) and get 33-36mpg. If it were stock, I would expect close to 40mpg. I would expect a B8 to average mid 30's, especially in hilly country.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by Basement_Modder View Post
                          .Originally Posted by Zombie Tech
                          88- all carb'd, no auto trans
                          89- all manuals carb'd, ALL autos EFI (one-year only system, not interchangable w/ 90-93)
                          90-93- all EFI
                          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                            you won't get 40mpg out of a B8 regularly. I have a B6 (with head work and a cam) and get 33-36mpg. If it were stock, I would expect close to 40mpg. I would expect a B8 to average mid 30's, especially in hilly country.
                            Must also consider the tranny being used.
                            I run a BP with an E series 5 spd and have hit 44.5 MPG, with some effort.
                            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                            '92 Aqua parts Car
                            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                            Your holy ghost will not save you.
                            Your God plutonium will not save you.
                            In fact...
                            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

^^^ that's why I said 'regularly'. It's very possible, I just wouldn't expect to get that every day.
                              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X