I GOT HEAT!!! FINALLY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I GOT HEAT!!! FINALLY.

Unhooked both lines going into the heater core. Filled it with Super Clean. Let it set for 5 minutes. BLAST of about 125lbs of air in one end. Dark brown spray of junk spewed all over me, engine bay, fender, bumper cover, hood. I laughed my butt off for about a minute. Did the process again until it came out clear (4-5 times). Buttoned it back up. Drove it and heat now burns my hand even with engine temp guage showing on the C line. Just in time for another Ohio winter.

I know this is a death sentence for a heater core but what was I out? If I had to tear it out from air pressure damage or gunk it would have been replaced anyway. I took a chance and I got lucky it wasn't clogged as bad as it could have been.
    -Bryant

This sounds like a win. Heat is always awesome in the snow.
    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

You're giving me bad ideas lol

Comment

Now that is a great story. Seven years running I've frozen my buns off in Festys whenever the temperature drops below 0 F. And every year I procrastinate about doing something about the heating system until suddenly it is too cold to work on it again.
        In a pinch I guess I could carefully mount a Coleman gas lantern somewhere inside the car but it would likely steam up the windows.
        If the heater core is not super difficult to get at perhaps while it is still relatively warm outside (and all my other mechanical woes get addressed) I will see about flushing or otherwise cleaning it before winter.

Comment

I need to do this. My air blows crazy cold in the summer, even with no A/C, but my heat is almost as cold.
          1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
          Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
          daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
          A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

Nice man, it's always nice to have heat, I remember one car I had to bypass the heater core, and my ride to work was colder than the rest of the day! It really sucks when you have to put on extra layers just for the trip to work lol... Ey did you guys get all those wild exotic animals yet? Must have been weird waking up with a bear and a tiger in the back yard!
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I'm needing to do something to mine. Its not hot enough for winter.

sent from my EVO in my Festiva
              First time owner
              89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
              Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Where are these hoses you talk about located?

sent from my EVO in my Festiva
                First time owner
                89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

Aren't you glad I took all these pictures of my build?

See the U shaped hose connected to the pipes in the firewall under the brake splitter "spider"? Those are the heater hose inlets to the heater core. That is where you would attach outside hoses to blow or flush out the heater core.

You can access it from underneath or from top right fender area. It's behind the engine block underneath the intake manifold. Probably best to get to it from below. Remember to use jackstands and be safe!

Whole build thread here:

Members Builds (questions about repair or how to do something belong in the proper forum)

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM.
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yeah kinda scary on the animals. I'm about 8 miles as the crow flies (or animals roam) and was extremely worried about the wolf that was among the last to be cought. I still don't trust their final numbers.

Heater does work better but am kinda leary on those days below maybe 15-20 degrees or so.
                    -Bryant

Comment

I might also add to this thread that if anyone is going to attempt this, be especially careful when pulling the stock hoses off the heater core fittings, I've broke those before, and it's not fun, the only alternative then is to bypass or replace the heater core. If the hoses are seized and your doubtful, just cut it off with a razorknife and replace the hose, it will save a lot of heartache.

@gomez, if you know of any junk yards with aspires in your area, please let me know! I'm in need of some stuff.
                      Last edited by zoom zoom; 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                      X