Alternator Repair $20+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Repair $20+

Gene Rochester of Seneca, SC. has been building alternators since he was a teenager. He's now in his sixties. He has direct ties to NASCAR, and there are pictures of old cars lining the waiting area of the shop. He isn't a backyard-garage builder, either. His 3,000+ sq.ft. shop is lined with parts as well as rebuilt and new alternators. He and his partner shop in Greer, SC, turn out almost 14,000 alternators a month.

My dad spoke highly of him when I mentioned that I wanted to have Ms. Scarlet's (MadScientist's car) alternator rebuilt. The biggest reason I went to him is because my dad had told me that he could 'rebuild an alternator for almost nothing'. What I learned from Mr. Rochester was that the alternator didn't need to be rebuilt, and that the variations in power were due to the old, worn out belt that currently drives it. He brought me over to the alternator testing machine that he used to show me that the alternator was charging properly, and mentioned that the reason why my alternator pulley had rusted so much was because it had heated up due to a slipping belt, which caused the pulley to be more susceptible to rusting.

I asked him what he wanted to rebuild an alternator completely. His answer, in so many words, was this: "If you need all the components of the alternator replaced, it's best that you get a new one, which I can sell to you for $120. Most of the time, though, an alternator can be brought back around just by changing the bearings, and I can do that for as low as $20. These Mondo alternators (contracted by Mitsubishi for the Festiva) are damn good alternators and last a long time. We don't have to work on many of them, and generally when we do it's a bearing that's gone out, or maybe a fan. Fans are around $35 to replace. It all depends on what condition the alternator is in."

I thought I'd mention this to all of you. I assume he receives and ships alternators, but if he doesn't and you would like your alternator repaired, I'll make sure he gets it. Here's his info.

GENE ROCHESTER
    ALTERNATOR REPAIR
    864-888-8578
    Last edited by DriverOne; 11-20-2011, 04:44 PM.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Good info, sounds like a great guy! Dude at autozone said my alt. reading was bouncing around a little bit
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Now you know where to go then!
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I've been rebuilding Festy alts for 15 years. The most common failure is the brushes. They can still be had thru NAPA for about $5. Second most common failure is the diode pack, not repairable. The third is the bearings, and can still be gotten thru NAPA for about $20.
        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
        Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Jim, I'm glad you know how to do that.

Comment

I just had an Alternator for a friends Lincoln Navigator repaired here. Within 20 minutes he knew it was the regulator and had it repaired. This is the third Alt I've taken to Mr Rochester, and have been very satisfied with the repairs.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The good news is, he has agreed to ship to ff.com members!

Comment

Lovely story you offered. This has become such a 'disposable goods' society that it is encouraging to read a few positive things once in awhile. I am sorely tempted to go this route instead of annually having to purchase the DNS starter/alternator rebuilds (Canada) that barely last a few more hours past the warrantee period.
                My old F150 is still running, and charging, on the factory original alternator at 470,000 km so I know good ones can be manufactured, and I'd rather that particular one (if and when it quits) was rebuilt by someone that knew what he was doing.

Comment

Can reputable shops somehow be 'stickied' on the search feature for members of FF.com?

Comment

Good to know!

I know I have one alternator that was charging fine, but was noisy as all get out. Still have it on a shelf, I ought to look into getting the bearings.

It can't be to hard, is it, FB71?
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

[QUOTE=DriverOne;466291]Gene Rochester of Seneca, SC. has been building alternators since he was a teenager. He's now in his sixties. He has direct ties to NASCAR, and there are pictures of old cars lining the waiting area of the shop. He isn't a backyard-garage builder, either. His 3,000+ sq.ft. shop is lined with parts as well as rebuilt and new alternators. He and his partner shop in Greer, SC, turn out almost 14,000 alternators a month.

:eeeeeek:..You should hide this information!! Our government has tried
                      to reach every facility of this type and force them to use china for labor
                      and then supply us the inferior part at the same price but with a higher
                      profit margin for the company and less taxes on that money.

All the laid off employees will still buy the parts because now they don't
                      make enough to buy anything else. They get there money from unemployment, programs, retraining grants, or some retire early, all money from our government which is no problem, they just print more
                      and borrow from china..nice happy circle!!:p

seriously it is good to know there are things like this still here in the states. That is good to hear and that should be supported.
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

[QUOTE=Movin;526338]
                        Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                        Gene Rochester of Seneca, SC. has been building alternators since he was a teenager. He's now in his sixties. He has direct ties to NASCAR, and there are pictures of old cars lining the waiting area of the shop. He isn't a backyard-garage builder, either. His 3,000+ sq.ft. shop is lined with parts as well as rebuilt and new alternators. He and his partner shop in Greer, SC, turn out almost 14,000 alternators a month.

:eeeeeek:..You should hide this information!! Our government has tried
                        to reach every facility of this type and force them to use china for labor
                        and then supply us the inferior part at the same price but with a higher
                        profit margin for the company and less taxes on that money.

All the laid off employees will still buy the parts because now they don't
                        make enough to buy anything else. They get there money from unemployment, programs, retraining grants, or some retire early, all money from our government which is no problem, they just print more
                        and borrow from china..nice happy circle!!:p

seriously it is good to know there are things like this still here in the states. That is good to hear and that should be supported.
                        And he didn't build his business...
                        Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

[QUOTE=rbrown;531786]
                          Originally posted by Movin View Post

And he didn't build his business...
                          ???

Comment

[QUOTE=DriverOne;531790]
                            Originally posted by rbrown View Post

???
                            The rediculous message the prez said last week to business owners. "You didn't build that".
                            Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

We do get heaps of more paper work out of the big O efforts.
                              Buy stock in International Paper!! LOL
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X