Find bad engined Festiva.... convert to Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find bad engined Festiva.... convert to Electric

Will Aspire suspension parts fit on a Festiva & would they be heavier duty? I'm toying with the idea of finding a Festiva with a bad engine, a 5speed manual tranny & converting it to longer range electric car. I'd put the 5sp. in my present Festiva & put my present 4 speed the electric Festiva.

Anyhow, the heavier duty Aspire suspension should work with a heavy battery laden electric Festiva........ shouldn't it?
    Last edited by Pu241; 11-22-2011, 11:38 PM. Reason: Hi jacking a [WTB] thread

Wow, looks like you need to so some of your much touted "research".
    And don't forget poor references.

"Longer range electric car" that will be interesting, longer than the 400+ miles range for a festiva. Impressive, now calculate how many batteries and their weight. Then their cost!
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I bought an electric festiva for parts. Still have the 5 speed trans that the guy used. Has the input shaft cut for the dc motor to bolt to. If ya want pictures I can take some. I can also get the number of the guy I bought it from. He made another one that he drives everyday about 30 miles.
      Ford Fester

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
        "Longer range electric car" that will be interesting, longer than the 400+ miles range for a festiva. Impressive, now calculate how many batteries and their weight. Then their cost!
        Not comparing with an Internal Combustion Engine(ICE). 'Longer range electric car' means compared to another lithium battery EV. One hundred miles(under the best conditions) as compared to a Nissan Leaf just isn't enough. First, a short-range battery pack drains too fast, cutting longevity. Then, there are warnings not to charge it too high & not to drain it too far down. So a longer range battery pack will slow operational battery drain, extending battery life, far more than the 'ability' for extended maximum range. Longer range addresses, most directly, the ability to extend the life of the battery pack.

With more batteries, the Festiva will be loaded down for sure. That's why in other threads, I initiated conversation for stronger suspension parts.

Hope I can get Dave Cloud in SEVA (Seattle Electric Vehicle Association) to build Electric Festiva.

As far as ICE Festiva range, I went 526 miles on a tank once. Under the right conditions, my Festiva might break that mark, now.

Comment

I'd rather see a planestiva, or jetstiva.. get there in half the time and no traffic jams, AND it hasn't been done.. lmk
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            I'd rather see a planestiva, or jetstiva.. get there in half the time and no traffic jams, AND it hasn't been done.. lmk
            Use a Jet Ranger Turbine engine from a Chopper.Bell used em.If you route the Jet wash properly you can melt the guy behind you.
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

You all seem to have missed the biggest problem in this thread... Finding a Festiva with a bad engine!
              Buck.
              -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
              -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
              -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

The aspire suspension will be better for what you want, but you probably should have a set if custom coilovers built so that you can choose the correct spring rate for your payload. This will be a money pit anyway, so you may as well do it right. I have lots of friends who build/ drive/ restore electric vehicles, they will be the first to tell you that you can only wish to break even, you won't save money. But it's a fun hobby for sure.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  The aspire suspension will be better for what you want..... This will be a money pit anyway......
                  Yeah, even my electric bike gives continuing problems. But, it is sweet to ride. Electric motors have elegant motion bordering on the unreal, similar to a magic carpet, never to be copied by Internal Combustion Engines(ICE). Outside of the unreliability of custom-built projects, the lead factor is to get the 'advertised', but seldom obtained battery pack life. I do understand that hybrid Prius battery pack longevity is 175,000 miles. However, the battery pack stress must be much greater in EV's that are only dependent on electricity to run.

Comment

a sufficient number of lead-acid batteries will cost you around $4k-5k, Li/Pos will run $8k-10k for around a 50-100 mile range. Then managing the charge and discharge of that number of cells in a uniform manner will present it own problems...
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                      a sufficient number of lead-acid batteries will cost you around $4k-5k, Li/Pos will run $8k-10k for around a 50-100 mile range. Then managing the charge and discharge of that number of cells in a uniform manner will present it own problems...
                      Dave Cloud from SEVA, quite a while ago, said he likes to work with lead-acid. If I have any hope of extending somewhat past 100 miles, Li/Pos or some of the most recent developments in batteries will have to be explored. Dave has done several(?) Geo Metros. Think the Festiva's larger hatchback cubic footage should be an advantage.

Yeah, from the size & space the controller takes up in Electric Festivas, the controller must be overwhelmed by what it must do. One fella had four controllers, each controlling only some of the batteries, but monitoring the other battery discharges & charges, too.

Looks like I'll only be carrying one passenger & that may get iffy.

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
                        Dave Cloud from SEVA, quite a while ago, said he likes to work with lead-acid. If I have any hope of extending somewhat past 100 miles, Li/Pos or some of the most recent developments in batteries will have to be explored. Dave has done several(?) Geo Metros. Think the Festiva's larger hatchback cubic footage should be an advantage.

Yeah, from the size & space the controller takes up in Electric Festivas, the controller must be overwhelmed by what it must do. One fella had four controllers, each controlling only some of the batteries, but monitoring the other battery discharges & charges, too.

Looks like I'll only be carrying one passenger & that may get iffy.
                        Yeah, a few guys I know have built complex controllers that control the output and charge of every single cell, but they are aerospace engineers who have unlimited access to some excellent hardware and wiring products. This is the only true reliable and efficient way to distribute power to the wheels. They also use 4 electric motors and obviously regenerate. Solar panels help a lot too, especially since the cost has dropped dramatically recently.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          They also use 4 electric motors and obviously regenerate.
                          I'd much prefer in-wheel electric motors too.... really only need two electric motors in the front wheels. Doesn't seem like many of the affordable EV's(what EV is affordable?) are trying in-wheel electric motors. With the battering & exposure to the elements they would get, are ideas for in-wheel electric motors falling by the wayside?

Comment

If I had a dollar for every efficient and effective idea that isn't being used in production vehicles I'd buy my own manufacturer and build brand new festivas. I'd build an electric version too, for the voltheads.

Comment

i stilll say some popout carbon fiber wings on the roof and a ranger rocket engine would be better.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                              X